Oak drama, part 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

briansol

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2009
central ct
So as some may know, I had scott out to fab me an OAK this summer.
Last night was the first night I could really test it out.
in and of itself, it seems to work fine.
however, I still feel a wicked draft sitting in the living room.... which is what I was trying to solve in the first place.

I have a level below the stove grade in my split level home.... It gets chilly down there. I'm thinking that now that its not grabbing outside air through the cracks, its grabbing up and pulling in the cold air from downstairs :/

Granted I only ran it a few hours. but I'm wondering if this isn't really going to solve my problem at all, or if running it longer will eventually fill out the whole house with the warmer air and start its 'max heat' recirculation process more or less?

So as some may know, I had scott out to fab me an OAK this summer.
Last night was the first night I could really test it out.
in and of itself, it seems to work fine.
however, I still feel a wicked draft sitting in the living room.... which is what I was trying to solve in the first place.

I have a level below the stove grade in my split level home.... It gets chilly down there. I'm thinking that now that its not grabbing outside air through the cracks, its grabbing up and pulling in the cold air from downstairs :/

Granted I only ran it a few hours. but I'm wondering if this isn't really going to solve my problem at all, or if running it longer will eventually fill out the whole house with the warmer air and start its 'max heat' recirculation process more or less?

If the OAK is working properly it should not be pulling any air in via cracks. The air needed for combustion will now be coming from outside. Maybe what you were feeling was natural convection. Heated air will rise and cooler air will fall.

My bet is also on convection currents.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
yes, I think so too, and eventually, there will be no more cool air, yeah? (well, assuming the walls can keep it out long enough for the stove to really circulate)

I would think it should diminish as the house gets up to temp.

You're probably always going to have a draft. Even when the your inside temp equalizes as much as it's going to, you'll still have air being drawn towards the stove, and that air will be cooler and also have a bit of a "wind chill" factor as it's moving.

it doesn't help that the stove actually blows my ceiling fan around as well... creates a breeze right on the couch.

Status
Not open for further replies.