OAK Harman TL 300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
murry said:
I will be putting an outside air kit on my Harman TL 300 wood stove.

Anyone have one on their TL 300?

What are the benefits?

Does Harman make the air kit for the stove?

Yes, I have an OAK on my TL300.
Better combustion. but..... an OAK is only required for specific circumstances and not needed in most.
It depends on where the stove is located, how tight the house is, and if the stove has easy access to a good supply of air.
(I would search this forum on OAK to get a better description of their benefits/drawbacks)
What I would do is install it without one, then check to see how it burns, if it doesn't burn quite right or burns better when a window is opened near the stove them you need an OAK.
Yes, Harman does make on OAK for the TL-300.

This will be my second year with the Harman TL300. My first year was an experience. From advice from yourself and others it was very beneficial. However, when I thought I had the stove figured out, i didn't. I beleive some circumstances led to this.

One my wood was not as dry as it should be.

Two I just had my stove serviced and cleaned and my bypass was not closing fully.

My stove is located in the basement and at first it seemed to burn fine. I knew I had to learn the stove and find it's sweet spots for it to function properly.

For how the stove operated and acted during burns:

1. Backpuffing after burning all day.

2. Could never set it on a low setting. When doing this it did not burn properly. Always had it set on second or third notch.

3. Did not get long burn times.

4. One time after burning for 10 hours it started to burn funny and was not kicked into after burn I opened the to load door and the fire came out over my head.

5. Some of the problems also occurred when I cut a vent in the floor above. i also have my basement door open to allow the heat to go upstairs. Could this be a pressurization.

6. Smoke smell in the house. One time I smelled smoke and I went downstairs and the stove was burping. Top load door waas jumping. Oxygen problem?

Thanks for the help and suggesstions again...

tlc uses the backside 2ndary burn.. very sensitive to wood moisture, as well as the fly ash you accum by feeding kindling and paper to it trying to get her to go.

It does sounds like you have some pressure issues going on in your basement. I agree, an OAK would be a great place to start regarding addressing these issues... it can only help.

Status
Not open for further replies.