OAK install in the basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
if an in-ground basement, how would you tackle/install the outside fresh air? Do you leave the flex pipe hanging against the wall and up through the sill? Or has anyone been creative and placed the flex pipe inside the dry wall up and then out through the sill?

Basement has concrete foundation, about 8 feet from floor, walls are sheet rock and there are 2x4 studs 16" apart. The ceiling is 2x2 drop ceiling tiles.

Vent/exhaust pipe will obviously be visible up but would be very ugly having the flex fresh air pipe just hanging around through the drop ceiling.

Pics would be appreciated....!!!

Use pvc and paint it flat black??? It will look better then flex. Cut a hole behind the baseboard and feed the pipe up behind the drywall. Use a stud finder to see if there is any blocking between the studs?????? Just a thought.

My outside air kit consists of 1 pvc collar , 1 pvc elbow , and two pieces of pvc pipe , into my unheated basement, quite a kit

I don't think the pvc pipe can be pushed into the wall, unless a piece of sheet rock is removed top to bottom, pvc pipe is not flexible.

oh right, I remember, but the pipe is about 6 inches...!!!

I hope no pane and mnkywrnch can look at this post and provide more info on this type of vent pipe, how much they paid per foot, elbows, thimble, etc. and if they were able to buy directly.

geek said:
I hope no pane and mnkywrnch can look at this post and provide more info on this type of vent pipe, how much they paid per foot, elbows, thimble, etc. and if they were able to buy directly.

geek my vent pipe is direct temp multi fuel version I didnt go through the roof just out the wall it was $350 for the kit which included the cleanout T the wall thimble and the adapter plus 3 feet of pipe I believe I paid another $50 or $60 for the other 3 feet.

thanks, did you find a local retailer? I don't think the sell direct to homeowners.

btw - sounds a bit pricey....

geek said:
thanks, did you find a local retailer? I don't think the sell direct to homeowners.

btw - sounds a bit pricey....

I had to buy it from my stove dealer ,yeah it is pricey but I needed the fresh air intake due to clearance issues and didnt want two holes in my wall,I will also say with the 3 foot rise inside Ive never had smoke in the house when we lost power.

yep,got mine thru the dealer.
I believe it was $750 for 26' worth.
u get what ya pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.