OAK Placement on Interior wall.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EastMtn

Burning Hunk
May 19, 2013
I've been searching a while for an answer to this OAK question but have not found an answer. The installer is coming this week to assess where and how to install my Piazzetta Sveva. Due to the difficulty of the install I think they might try an dissuade me from using an OAK. Elevation 7500'. I only have one wall in the entire house that can logically take a free standing stove without obstructing a window or entryway. This is an interior wall with a pantry on the other side of the wall. I'm looking for advice on where/how to install the OAK.
The exhaust will be a vertical approx 14ft through the roof. I have a flat roof and recently replaced the roof while adding an additional R-18 for a total of R-48. According to the manual a fresh air intake or OAK is a must. The house was built in 2006 on a concrete slab. No basement, stained concrete floors, and with the exception of the garage and utility areas is mostly 7ft tall windows (10ft ceiling) or 8ft glass doors on exterior walls.

Possible options:
1. Selkirk Direct Temp that takes OAK and exhaust in a single pipe with inner and outer walls through the roof for one hole opening.
2. Pellet vent through roof and OAK horizontal to the nook (6" depth) in the picture next to sliding glass door. Would have to move stove off center to help hide horizontal pipe. Outside that door is a covered porch with extended section of whole house audio, ceiling fixtures and ceiling fan. Tight fit but might work.
3. OAK straight back to connect to false return in pantry.
4. ????

I call this a false return because I have an evap cooler in the center of the house and it relies on open windows to direct and circulate air rather than an actual return. A metal vent cover is slid in the air box in the winter to prevent unwanted down drafts. The vent was put in the pantry solely as an access panel to get to some of the radiant floor valves. There's an identical vent and arrangement in the master closet.

Again, any comments would be appreciated.

Piazzetta Placement Photo.jpgPiazzetta Placement Floor Plan.jpg

From a recent member that has went from Duravent and separate OAKs to Selkirk.

Get the Selkirk. Easy Peasy. There are members here that sell it or many online retailers.

I found some cheap stuff online (FeeBay) and a member beat it :) very well built stuff and looks more like standard Stove pipe (6") if you go up and out. Much better looking than the standard 3"-4" venting.

Reactions: EastMtn
I read that thread and have to say that PETA, people for the ethical treatment of air, has you on their watch list for that garage incident. CA would not be happy. But then again I'm from CA and not everyone realizes that the power they buy is partially from coal plants outside of the state. But I digress.

The fresh air to vent pipe pics on the back of the stove answered a clearance question I had. I think the pipe size will look nice in our house in black giving it a more industrial loft look.
I'll look online and do some price comparisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.