OAK Placement Suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any problem with transitioning to something other than the aluminum flex pipe after it leaves the room with the stove? PVC or something else cheap?

Any problem with transitioning to something other than the aluminum flex pipe after it leaves the room with the stove? PVC or something else cheap?

Metal all the way. Just post a picture of the outside and mark the garage portion so peeps who just see that picture don't get confused. This should be quite simple with no long runs at all..

OK here is a multimedia presentation for you. This is what I am planning, let me know if this make sense.

Attachments

• OAK1.jpg
    OAK1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 146
  • OAK2.jpg
    OAK2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 171
  • OAK3.jpg
    OAK3.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 147
For crying out loud go out through the wall to the right of the thimble and above the rim joist that way the OAK end will be out of the way of the vent by more than the minimum distance and you don't have to punch a pile of holes and run a lot of tubing with bends in it.

Why do you want to penetrate a garage wall and add extra bends?

Reactions: BradH70
I thought that I needed to be 3 feet from the exhaust vent so that I wasn't taking in exhaust fumes into the intake. Assuming the rim joist is a 2x10, that would put my OAK around 12" below and 18" to the right of the vent pipe. You think thats enough?

I'd clear the sill plate and go through the rim joist which sets that OAK lower than clearing the rim joist would if you are worried about being too close remember that the vent termination is still over 12 " from the wall. So the OAK end is well over 18" from the termination. The only question I have if it goes through the rim joist is how far from the ground will it be and if snow is going to be a problem.

The required minimum is 12" from the termination. Either method is going to put it further away than that

ETA2: In fact along the wall the OAK will be 21+" from the vent pipe let alone the termination.

I guess that makes sense. Snow may just be something I have to deal with. I don't get snow drifts in the location. I am thinking that the heat from the exhaust will keep the snow at bay for the most part.

Your setup is just about the same as mine, you have a garage to the right and I have a house length deck. All of my vent system goes through the same wall. The only difference outside is the height above ground, mine is a bit higher than yours.

If your stove had a flapper on the air intake I'd have suggested going out right below that thimble or replacing that thimble with a combined setup because there would be no need for a better natural draft setup.

Nice, can't thank you enough. Will plan on getting it installed maybe tomorrow or by the weekend. Stove runs perfect on the lower heat levels but definitely needs more air on high. Will be sure to post pictures when it's done.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
OK finally done - thanks to everyone for the helpful advice (especially Smokey). Stove seems to be burning better now. Still have some ash buildup in the burnpot but I have been running it on high a lot. Still need to do the dollar bill test just to check the gaskets.

Attachments

• oakdone.jpg
    oakdone.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 158
Status
Not open for further replies.