OAK Question....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

runandjump

Apr 7, 2009
Southern Ohio
I know there is a lot of yea & nea's on the OAK. Here is my idea.. If I pre-heat the OA and let it out in the house and let the stove pull from the house then it would cure a few concerns. OA cold. O2 in the house to help with back draft. I have a few ideas on how to pre-heat with a little engeneering. What do you all think? Is it worth it? My house is semi tight. I have a HS Eq. in a 2000 sqft house.

A positive pressure in the whole house could adversly affect your stove's draft.
A negative pressure in the house could adversly affect your stove's draft.

If preheated air is such a concern, why not just pre-heat a dedicated OAK ?

This setup would would not be forced air. It would just work off of natural convection.

One of the biggest benefits of an OAK is that you don't suck the moist air out of your home which would be replaced with super dry outside air. Also the standard OAK does not waste the heat that you are planning on using to heat your outside air source, the fire doesn't mind if the intake air is cold.

What is the benefit of your proposal? The only thing I can see is that you would eliminate a negative pressure issue.

To Bill, why wouldn't a positive pressure in the whole house be a good thing for draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.