OAK rusting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Diceman97

Nov 3, 2019
Delanson, NY
Did a search and didn’t find anything...just installed an OAK on my Lopi Deerfield. Because it’s been so cold (sub 32 most nights) it’s been collecting condensation or even frosting up. Then it melts and looks like it’s starting to rust already leaving rusty droplets on my tile. Anyone have any suggestions or have some thing similar happen.
I saw that some have wrapped it with pipe insulation but the problem with that is the boss wants it black to match the stove and not take away from the stone behind it....any suggestions would be awesome!

So, what are you using for the pipe from the outside air intake to the unit? You should be using aluminized expandable heat riser tube (you can get it online at JC Whitney or a local NAPA shop). It don't rust btw and the ends need to be secured to both the air intake and the stove with worm clamps.

I bought the Lopi kit, flex ducking which I made the mistake of assuming was aluminum . However, I just looked at the picture of what you suggested on NAPA’s web site and it looks identical. I did paint it black (rustoleum) though...maybe my culprit?

I haven't a clue what it's made out of, try a magnet on it too see. I do know the NAPA and JC Whitney stuff is expandable aluminum foil with a plastic liner. You won't find it at a discount auto parts store, they don't even know what a heat riser is.... If it's for an older vehicle, they are clueless and heat riser pipes went away when carbureted vehicles went away to fuel injection as well.

The one I have really sweats when it's cold out, in fact when it's sub zero, I can get frost buildup on it. For me at least, the cold outside air really improves the burn.

I doubt the paint has anything to do with it but it does need to be securely sealed at both ends.

That is weird, Both my stoves have OAKs, and get frosty on a regular basis, but I haven't seen any rust. Looks like I use the same flex duct, which is aluminum (a thick, stiffer, glorified aluminum foil). I'd take a look at the clamps, especially the screws - maybe those are rusting?

Rust is probably coming from the air intake tube on the stove. Moisture settles by the connection and steel. water, oxygen = rust

E45AD1EC-DFB8-435E-BBFE-454F6DDC412B.jpeg
It’s weird...it’s only in this spot‍♂️

Definitely odd. It sure has some steel in it. It may be from the manufacturing process before painting. Id clean it off and repaint it

Reactions: bogieb
...or trundle down to NAPA and get a new one. About 12 bucks.

Reactions: Diceman97
That will work. The one you have must have some kind of ferrous contamination on it.

From the picture posted, I don't see rust. I see pellet fines and dust in the valleys of the pipe. I get them too. It happens when I dump the pellet bag into the hopper and little bit of dust goes flying. And if I am really careless, the bigger fines too.

I don't have that but could be.

if that be the case why would they only be in one spot on the tubing? :confused:

My personal feeling it that the aluminum foil outer layer got compromised when made with some steel shavings. Just replace it.

Mine is half rust stained and half perfect. I used 2 sections of automotive flex exhaust. Had to get it from 2 different stores. One must have been aluminized and one not. One of these days I might paint it or heat wrap it but it’s really not hurting anything.

Reactions: Ssyko