Oak score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bob95065

Burning Hunk
Aug 13, 2013
Felton, CA
So we had record rain this winter which caused tons of damage and downed trees. Many people thought it was horrible but I see an opportunity for free firewood.

I got a call from many people about downed trees to cut up. One said that a big oak went dine on their property that they would like me to cut up. I saw it yesterday. I think there is more there than the 4 cord estimate they gave me over the phone.

20170422_141103_zpsfvq8gugh.jpg

20170422_141949_zpsslvpkw4m.jpg

20170422_142102_zpsze6shcw1.jpg

There is a flat and level pad in front of the tree near a 20' wide gate. It doesn't get easier than this. I have a bunch of friends coming to help. We are meeting onsite at 0800 to start working on it.

There is free firewood all over our county this year.

So we had record rain this winter which caused tons of damage and downed trees. Many people thought it was horrible but I see an opportunity for free firewood.

I got a call from many people about downed trees to cut up. One said that a big oak went dine on their property that they would like me to cut up. I saw it yesterday. I think there is more there than the 4 cord estimate they gave me over the phone.

View attachment 197206

View attachment 197207

View attachment 197208

There is a flat and level pad in front of the tree near a 20' wide gate. It doesn't get easier than this. I have a bunch of friends coming to help. We are meeting onsite at 0800 to start working on it.

Always a shame to see a nice tree like that go down, but good for you not letting it go to waste!!

Reactions: Jeffm1

View attachment 197206

View attachment 197207

View attachment 197208

Nicccee!

I don't think that oak is four cords. More like two cords, I'd guess, but still a big tree. That oak is going to burn long and hot in a few years. I assume in CA your firewood seasons a lot faster than it does here in the humid east. Around here we say it takes three years for oak to be well seasoned.

You got to love the easier stuff!

Nice! The picture makes it look like it kind of just leaned over. Are the roots still in the ground?