Odd sized fireplace opening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

caseycboyd

Feb 17, 2021
Colorado
We are looking to replace an old gas fireplace with a new insert. The problem we are facing is that our fireplace opening is 22 3/4 high and 44 inches wide. The units that we are finding that will fit height-wise are very small and I think they will look odd in such a large space because it will require a very large surround. At this point we are wondering if anyone makes custom sized inserts, but aren't having much luck finding that. The current surround is brick and cannot be altered. Any ideas? Thank you.

The dimensions are 22 3/4 inches high, 44 inches wide and 29 inches deep. It was originally a wood burning fireplace, but the previous owner converted it to gas. We were looking at inserts, but the ones that fit the height are only like 29 inches wide.

20210216_183729.jpg

20210217_144933.jpg

Nice pix. You do have options...
Many gas fire place inserts come with oversized surrounds as an option.
You can also have one fabricated by a local weld shop or sheet metal shop.
The place where I work fabricates one or two every week.

My problem is that I hate the look of the oversized surround around a small fire box. I would prefer a firebox that fits the opening better. I am thinking that is probably not an option though.

Look at this Heat & Glo example. The width of the insert will leave about 4" of surround on each side.
You may still have to modify or fabricate whatever surround you need, & you will need
to pull it out out onto the hearth a couple of inches to make it work, but returns can also
be added to the surround. Believe, the finished product will look very nice if you go with
a reputable hearth shop. When I was in sales I used to tell folks to photoshop different models
to see what worked best. Hope this helps...

ModelSupreme Insert 35
Minimum Opening Front Width36-5/8"
Minimum Opening Back Width25-1/8"
Minimum Opening Depth15"
Minimum Opening Height24-1/4"
BTU/hr Input35,000
Viewing Area32-1/2" x 19-3/8"

We actually photoshopped the Mendota fv33i with a surround that is 31 x 44. The surround feels like a large expanse of black. With that unit we will have 7 inches of surround on both sides.

Hi all.

I'm going to jump on this topic, too, cause we have a similar issue. We recently moved into a home with an open brick fireplace (see the attached photo).

Dimensions are: 41"W x 22 7/8"H at the front and 17 1/2" deep from the lintel to the angled back. The installer we had look at it says the best fit measures 30"W x 22"H, but that leaves 5 1/2" of surround on each side.

But, there's a 1 3/8" drop from the level of the brick hearth in front of the firebox to the bottom of the box. If we grind that down to the level of the firebox, the height from the bottom to the lintel becomes 24 1/4", and according to manufacturer specs that's (barely) big enough to fit an insert measuring closer to 35"W x 24"H (like the Heat N Glow model named above in this thread).

Question: Is grinding down the brick hearth bench in front of the fireplace by 1 3/8" a reasonable and affordable thing to do?

IMG-9489.jpg