Oddball Venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bubb56

Mar 25, 2021
Minnesota
I want to install a direct vent gas fireplace in a basement. I have an old closet that is 20" deep that bumps outside my foundation and has a concrete cap at ground level outside. I would like to recess the FP into this space and vent directly out the cap. I have never found anything on venting this way, any input would be appreciated......

Thanks

Should be doable...Putting the hole thru the concrete may be a chore,
but if the cap is flat, then you can use a flat roof flashing & seal the CRAP
out of the edges to prevent leakage. You may have an issue with the height
of the venting. It may have to be 7' above the ground level to prevent
anyone from coming into contact with vent cap. It'll get pretty HOT.

Should be doable...Putting the hole thru the concrete may be a chore,
but if the cap is flat, then you can use a flat roof flashing & seal the CRAP
out of the edges to prevent leakage. You may have an issue with the height
of the venting. It may have to be 7' above the ground level to prevent
anyone from coming into contact with vent cap. It'll get pretty HOT.

That's what I thought, it will look crazy but it should be legal. I appreciate it!

That's what I thought, it will look crazy but it should be legal. I appreciate it!
There is a consideration for clearance to a perpendicular side wall. In the install manual for this fireplace it is listed as 20" from the edge of the cap to the wall.

Attachments

• 2632_980_SL579IFT_INSTALL.pdf
    126.1 KB · Views: 296