Odor of smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tzagorini

Nov 4, 2008
Upstate NY
Just installed a Englander 25 PDVC.. Runs great and no complaints, but is an slight odor of smoke normal?? I RTV'd all joints on the vent pipe but still have the odor even when stack is hot.. Any suggestions??

Thanks, Tony

If this is your first burn it will smoke and smell bad for several hours until the paint cures and the oil burns off. My stove smoked for about 6-8 hours after the first firing.

If you're smelling just a wood burning smell then this should disappear a few minutes after the stove ignites. It could be poor draft, bad or missing gasket, loose fitting gasket on the door, etc...

It seems to be all the time.. stronger on startup, but somewhat less during burn, but still there!! I'm not burning 24/7 as yet but will be as soon as it gets colder.. Sometimes it seems to be coming from inside the stove amongst the motor and auger assmblies.

Could there be a gasket inside that is not tight??

Tony

I have the same smell. I think it is more of a hot smell not smoke.

It's certainly possile you have a leaking gasket. Many people have found their leaks by turning off the lights and using a flashlight to find the leak(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.