OEM Blower or?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Itslay90

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2022
Upstate,NY
How many people used the blower on the back of the stove, and does it really work? I’m just asking, because I thought it was better to push the cold air to the stove, vs pushing hot air to the cold air. And should I go oem with the blower or aftermarket

It depends a lot on the floor plan and house layout. A good built-in blower system helps heat convect better from the stove. A fan in another room blowing in cold air is more about distributing the heat better in hard-to-heat locations in the house, usually due to a restricting door or hallway. Both can work in conjunction with each other, but it could be that a basic $20 table fan suffices for the setup.

We have the oem blower on our stove. It is fairly quiet and effective. I use it only occasionally. Our floorplan is open and has has fairly good natural convection, but when it's very cold out, I use it to move more heat to the farthest extents. It is also handy for cooling down a hot stove quickly. The stovetop temperature drops about 130º with it on high.

It depends a lot on the floor plan and house layout. A good built-in blower system helps heat convect better from the stove. A fan in another room blowing in cold air is more about distributing the heat better in hard-to-heat locations in the house, usually due to a restricting door or hallway. Both can work in conjunction with each other, but it could be that a basic $20 table fan suffices for the setup.

We have the oem blower on our stove. It is fairly quiet and effective. I use it only occasionally. Our floorplan is open and has has fairly good natural convection, but when it's very cold out, I use it to move more heat to the farthest extents. It is also handy for cooling down a hot stove quickly. The stovetop temperature drops about 130º with it on high.
Thank you again, and I forgot to thank you, I been able to keep my stove top at 650 670. Now the only issue I’m having now is. The heat circulates but only gets my house to only to 65 that’s it. So I was thanking bout getting the blower to see if it will help.. do you think I should get the oem, or aftermarket ?

And the stove is in the basement, when I had a timberline wood burning stove I used a fan, and it did great !

Thank you again, and I forgot to thank you, I been able to keep my stove top at 650 670. Now the only issue I’m having now is. The heat circulates but only gets my house to only to 65 that’s it. So I was thanking bout getting the blower to see if it will help.. do you think I should get the oem, or aftermarket ?
It depends on what the problem is. Is the basement quite warm? Are the basement walls insulated?

The big Timberlines had a very large firebox. When filled and pushed they could put out a lot of heat while eating a ton more wood.

It depends on what the problem is. Is the basement quite warm? Are the basement walls insulated?

The big Timberlines had a very large firebox. When filled and pushed they could put out a lot of heat while eating a ton more wood.
The rim joists is insulated with r21

The basement will get warm after like 3-4 hours

But. I noticed, around the stove the walls are warm. That’s why I wanted to try the blower to push the heat out into the room

Definitely depends on layout. Our installer recommended we hold off on the PE OEM blower (about $350) and buy a $38 VODA fan that sits on top of the stove and see how it goes. Turns on when stove top is roughly 180 degrees. I had my doubts since the main floor has an open floor plan, 36’x26’ foundation. We are impressed, saved some money and heats the main floor extremely well while heat migrates upstairs and keeps the 3 bedrooms warm, 71-72.

Another major benefit of the heat actuated stove top fan is that it works when power goes out which it does in my area. We have lost power for 4 days before in January. The OEM blower needs electricity or a backup home standby generator to work. Just food for thought. My advice try the less expensive option first.

I’ve also seen guys with larger stoves have a fan on each side.

Definitely depends on layout. Our installer recommended we hold off on the PE OEM blower (about $350) and buy a $38 VODA fan that sits on top of the stove and see how it goes. Turns on when stove top is roughly 180 degrees. I had my doubts since the main floor has an open floor plan, 36’x26’ foundation. We are impressed, saved some money and heats the main floor extremely well while heat migrates upstairs and keeps the 3 bedrooms warm, 71-72.

Another major benefit of the heat actuated stove top fan is that it works when power goes out which it does in my area. We have lost power for 4 days before in January. The OEM blower needs electricity or a backup home standby generator to work. Just food for thought. My advice try the less expensive option first.

I’ve also seen guys with larger stoves have a fan on each side.
I was thinking bout getting one of those fans, but a lot of people says it doesn’t move a lot of heat

I was thinking bout getting one of those fans, but a lot of people says it doesn’t move a lot of heat
That’s completely false. The CFM for the VODA around 240 is plenty for our setup. My main floor bathroom is on the other side of the kitchen 90 degree turn and my dining room is blocked by two walls. Dining room can be accessed from the hallway by the front door or kitchen and both rooms are warm. I think the important variable is how well the home or area is insulated. If I was in a large farmhouse that was drafty I would have a blower but still have stove fans for mild weather and for emergency use during loss of electricity.

People forget blowers don’t work during power outages. Same as pellet stoves. The looks I get from people when I tell them their pellet stove won’t work in an outage.

I consider our house medium size at 1,800 not including finished basement and our Vista exceeded our expectations.

That’s completely false. The CFM for the VODA around 240 is plenty for our setup. My main floor bathroom is on the other side of the kitchen 90 degree turn and my dining room is blocked by two walls. Dining room can be accessed from the hallway by the front door or kitchen and both rooms are warm. I think the important variable is how well the home or area is insulated. If I was in a large farmhouse that was drafty I would have a blower but still have stove fans for mild weather and for emergency use during loss of electricity.

People forget blowers don’t work during power outages. Same as pellet stoves. The looks I get from people when I tell them their pellet stove won’t work in an outage.
Thank you, I’m going to look into it, and try it out and see

Just fyi placement is important for these fans. Should next to your stove pipe toward the back of the stove top. Good luck

Just fyi placement is important for these fans. Should next to your stove pipe toward the back of the stove top. Good luck
Is this the same fan ?

493AC4BB-2593-489A-A872-2F2DC7CF17C9.png

Yes I believe it is.

So far it’s been reliable. My wife eventually wants me to buy a spare. Sometimes they are less money over the summer.

Yeah, I just got two of them. And I hope it does. And if it does. I’ll just get two extra ones and put them up just Incase these break when I have a power outage. Because the oem blower is almost $500 dollars that’s just crazy to me
So far it’s been reliable. My wife eventually wants me to buy a spare. Sometimes they are less money over t
So far it’s been reliable. My wife eventually wants me to buy a spare. Sometimes they are less money over the summer.
Yeah. I just got two of them, to put on both side of my stove..

Reactions: Wildflush