Oh boy it is wet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
So I have my second year with wood being seasoned two years ahead. But I have a problem. This year I am burning sugar maple that I now realize is wet or has been getting wet through the tarp. It does burn ok but not really the way I want. It is starting to form fungus on some of the pieces. I have about 2.5 cords of oak that seems to be burning pretty good but I would like to let it sit one more summer. Should I just mix in the maple with oak or just try and use up the maple first. Will the maple be worst next year. It has been 2 summers and I am afraid it might deteriorate. When I burn the maple it does not bubble water but yet it's a bit hard to start unless I have a hot stove.

My vote is to experiment with each idea and see what works.

No hard fast rule for what is going to work best for you as there are a lot of variables.

Reactions: PapaDave
Try the mix.
A few holes in a tarp should not matter that much, unless one is where water is pooling and pouring in. If the tarp has been on all year like that, the tarp is actually hurting rather than helping. Keeping in that wetness and moisture.

When that happens to me I bring put my next load in and put it in front or near the front of my stove to dry it a bit.

Same problem here. It rained heavily on and off for a couple days and then the temps dropped and everything froze and got covered with ice. My wood stack was not covered and this was a few days prior to when I move it closer to the house for winter. When it goes next to the house it gets covered.

The wood has soaked up a fair amount of moisture. My only option is to put the next load of splits in front of the stove on the hearth to try and dry it out. Seems to be helping. But for now I'm dealing with some sizzling pieces which annoys me.

Status
Not open for further replies.