oil burner wont fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guymessina

Jan 24, 2011
poughkeepsie,ny
just installed honeywell L8148A wired it up correctly but it will not fire unless i push down on the relay myself . thermostat has 26 volts going to it but relay wont connect . when fired with the relay no problems but it wont fire unless i do it. any ideas tried calling honeywell wont talk to u unless your a contractor

guymessina said:
just installed honeywell L8148A wired it up correctly but it will not fire unless i push down on the relay myself . thermostat has 26 volts going to it but relay wont connect . when fired with the relay no problems but it wont fire unless i do it. any ideas tried calling honeywell wont talk to u unless your a contractor

Disconnect any wires from T T terminals.

Connect a jumper wire from T to T, relay should pull in, circ should activate, burner should cycle on high limit.

Verify that no voltage is present across thermostat wires that were disconnected from T T terminals.

Verify that thermostat wires conduct when thermostat setpoint is substantially above its ambient.

Verify that thermostat wire do not conduct when thermostat setpoit is substantially below its ambient.

Reconnect thermostat when the trouble has been isolated and remedied.

--ewd

Hey Messinna, yer not still manually operatin' that relay are ya? :eek:hh:

But seriously, welcome aboard! And let us know how your diagnosis went and how you fixed your situation. We like hearing about how some of our people here can help out.

ISDBTUs

thank you ewdudley found out no power coming out of the zone valves it is going in but not coming out on the endswitch wires does this mean i have to replace both zone valves neither one has 24volts coming out of them. checked the wiring of them to a diagram and wiring seems correct and i did use a jumper for the oil burner works till it gets to temp then shuts off. any ideas about the zone valves would be a great help too

guymessina said:
thank you ewdudley found out no power coming out of the zone valves it is going in but not coming out on the endswitch wires does this mean i have to replace both zone valves neither one has 24volts coming out of them. checked the wiring of them to a diagram and wiring seems correct and i did use a jumper for the oil burner works till it gets to temp then shuts off. any ideas about the zone valves would be a great help too

Are these Taco heat motor zone valves? Even if they're not, it's necessary that the zone valve activation power that is switched on by the thermostat is separate from the end switch function used to activate the boiler. Taco goes out of their way to explain the situation in this document:

http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/100-3.pdf

In the case of a Taco heat motor zone valve, you should be able to connect an ohm meter or continuity tester across terminals 2 and 3 and they should conduct when the zone valve is opened by the thermostat and they of course should not conduct when the thermostat is not activating the zone valve.

When they do conduct and they are connected to the T T terminals of the aquastat, they will perform the same function as you did when you connected the jumper across the T T terminals. There is no voltage being supplied by the jumper, just conductivity, likewise with the zone valve end switch.

--ewd

i get no current at all or conductivity off my zone valves they r honeywell zone valves with 2 yellow and 2 red on them one zone valve wont close or open no matter what i do the other makes a sizzling sound out of it and only opens if i do it manually also figured i could check to see if my wiring for the burner made a difference undid that off the aquastat and hooked up the thermostat and relay still wouldnt click in on position so could it be the motors in the zone valves ?

Status
Not open for further replies.