Oil Fired Furnace surges

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
My Nephew, who is newly licensed HVAC, serviced our Furnace and put on an upgraded Filter in place of the old one.....I believe the old one was a Paper, he put on a Micron Filter, or something like that. Anyhow, I just noticed that when the Furnace gets to the end of the burn cycle, it surges.....never noticed that before.....I'm thinking of giving him a call, but now I'm questioning his skills. What do you think ??....could it be the Filter may burn up my Pump ??

If there was a problem with a filter being restrictive that would cause fuel starvation which would affect the burn duration, not just at shutdown, no ?

Call and ask what causes that though so you sleep at night. :)

He may have leaned it out too much. Optimum efficiency is to set the burner on the ragged edge of lean but slight changes in air flow or even fuel flow can be enough to lean it out. Many techs used to leave a burner a bit rich as the furnaces ran better and it assured them of repeat business for next years cleaning. I expect the filter he installed is on the hot air side and not on the combustion air side?

He may have leaned it out too much. Optimum efficiency is to set the burner on the ragged edge of lean but slight changes in air flow or even fuel flow can be enough to lean it out. Many techs used to leave a burner a bit rich as the furnaces ran better and it assured them of repeat business for next years cleaning. I expect the filter he installed is on the hot air side and not on the combustion air side?
It's Baseboard system. He did say it was running too rich, and he made an adjustment, maybe he went too far ??. I will see him Xmas day, and ask him on the way out so he doesn't feel obligated to work on it that day.

If there was a problem with a filter being restrictive that would cause fuel starvation which would affect the burn duration, not just at shutdown, no ?

Call and ask what causes that though so you sleep at night. :)
Yup, makes sense....likely not the Filter

My Nephew, who is newly licensed HVAC, serviced our Furnace and put on an upgraded Filter in place of the old one.....I believe the old one was a Paper, he put on a Micron Filter, or something like that. Anyhow, I just noticed that when the Furnace gets to the end of the burn cycle, it surges.....never noticed that before.....I'm thinking of giving him a call, but now I'm questioning his skills. What do you think ??....could it be the Filter may burn up my Pump ??

Is this an oil or gas furnace? How old is the furnace? Is the filter in the blower side or the burner side of airflow?

OK, so it's the fuel filter since baseboards don't have an air filter. It is possible that too fine of filter could starve the pump. pick up a cheap regular filter and see if it makes a difference.

Is this an oil or gas furnace? How old is the furnace? Is the filter in the blower side or the burner side of airflow?
The Furnace is about 9 years old, the Filter is inline from the Tank.

OK, so it's the fuel filter since baseboards don't have an air filter. It is possible that too fine of filter could starve the pump. pick up a cheap regular filter and see if it makes a difference.
I was thinking that also, but bilb3 pointed out that it would starve during the entire burn cycle, which makes sense.....I've only notice at the end of the burn just prior to shut down. I will see my Nephew over the Holidays at my place, and maybe he'll notice it, or I'll point it out, but I'm not letting him touch it till he's back on the clock.

The Furnace is about 9 years old, the Filter is inline from the Tank.

I was thinking that also, but bilb3 pointed out that it would starve during the entire burn cycle, which makes sense.....I've only notice at the end of the burn just prior to shut down. I will see my Nephew over the Holidays at my place, and maybe he'll notice it, or I'll point it out, but I'm not letting him touch it till he's back on the clock.

Come on.... He's family, he is SUPPOSED to work for free on holidays. At least that's the way it works for me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.