Oil to gas conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyD

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 15, 2008
South Jersey
I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this post so move if need be.

My oil burner has been giving me problems all winter and I always said I would convert to gas when it was time to replace my heater. The layout of my house is not that great so total wood heat is out. I have small rooms on two floors with an addition off to one side which is where my wood stove sits now. It's an old farm house built in the 1920's and leaks air like a sieve.

My question is to anyone who converted and what kind of savings did you see? I am not sure what the cost of running the gas line will be but I am getting one meter for my house and a second for my pole barn which I am calling a business. I had to do that because they don't charge to run a main for a business like they do for a residence. Right now that is heated with propane. I know even with the higher commercial rate for gas it will be cheaper then propane and I don't have to bother with deliveries.

A couple of the other benefits are that I will be able to go two zones for upstairs and downstairs and be able to add a whole house generator. Right now upstairs has crappy heat, there wasn't even heat up there when I moved in. I just ran a small trunk and went with that. But I do have two zone air and the duct work is in place for that in my attic so now I can add a gas heater in my attic. That was not possible with oil.

So how much cheaper will gas be for me considering I only use maybe 300 gallons a year now? Except this year will be higher because of the extreme cold we had.

If there is enough savings I may even cut back trying to heat this whole place with just my under sized wood stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.