oil up 35%, pellets up at least 40%, still good to invest in pellet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts are these: better to be robbed by someone named "John" than someone nambed "Abdulla" or "Hugo." The bucks, at least, stay in the US. tap

MainePellethead said:
humpin iron said:
FYI: Pellet prices are about the same as 3-4 yrs ago. Whats changed is the price of moving the pellets (trucking). 4 yrs ago there were 90 mills in North America, today there are over 200. I make $20 on a skid of pellets, nobody is gettin rich off pellets at the retail level.
Also the price of steel to make stoves a year ago was $625 per ton, today that same ton sells for $1300. Thats why stoves are going up.
In my 30 years in this business I am proud to say that for the most part-most players in this game DO NOT **** and pillage at a time like this

I agree iron! I talked to 3 different stove dealers recently and their comments were exactly the same....theres not much money in the pellets from them selling them, they merely have them for a service. But your right....moving them has participated in the rising cost.
But....cost has not gone up to to much I would say....a guy at work just got 3 ton for 220 a ton. I paid 223 last winter...

220 a ton is great right now.. how recently, and does it include shipping? Also your 223 price last winter, when did you get those? as early as before July?

Since this has gone way of topic (pellets to oil to politics) here is something interesting. If you have ten minutes or so, listen to what the self-proclaimed "Joe American" has to say about the current Presidential elections and energy policy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPch2k63uj4

ducker said:
MainePellethead said:
humpin iron said:
FYI: Pellet prices are about the same as 3-4 yrs ago. Whats changed is the price of moving the pellets (trucking). 4 yrs ago there were 90 mills in North America, today there are over 200. I make $20 on a skid of pellets, nobody is gettin rich off pellets at the retail level.
Also the price of steel to make stoves a year ago was $625 per ton, today that same ton sells for $1300. Thats why stoves are going up.
In my 30 years in this business I am proud to say that for the most part-most players in this game DO NOT **** and pillage at a time like this

I agree iron! I talked to 3 different stove dealers recently and their comments were exactly the same....theres not much money in the pellets from them selling them, they merely have them for a service. But your right....moving them has participated in the rising cost.
But....cost has not gone up to to much I would say....a guy at work just got 3 ton for 220 a ton. I paid 223 last winter...

220 a ton is great right now.. how recently, and does it include shipping? Also your 223 price last winter, when did you get those? as early as before July?

He just got them last week...as for delivery...I believe he picked them up himself but he lives a mile from where he got them.

As for my price of 223.....that was the middle of January 08 that I got them at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.