Oil vs. pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stillersnut

Sep 14, 2009
south central pa.
With oil prices @ $1.90, & projected to hold steady, I'm backing off my pellet purchases this yr. early buy prices were way out of line in my area. I'm planning on running the oil monster majority of winter. Anyone else doing the same???

Reactions: Pellet-King and GS7
Stocking up on pellets regardless of the price of oil. Pellet prices are not coming down anytime soon. I might end up burning a little more oil than I have in previous winters and carry over some pellets for next winter.

Reactions: Don2222
Hello

I got a Fili-up of oil which I use for hot water but if I cranked up the old inefficient oil boiler heat to be as cozy as pellet heat, I would use a lot more oil. Therefore even tho I do not sell pellets, I will be using my 3 tons of Oakanagan Golds I purchased in my American made Harman pellet stove where the money goes to American workers and American businesses to keep America strong. :)
Also I like to relax in front of the fire.
Caveman TV :)

Last edited:
Hello

I got a Fili-up of oil which I use for hot water but if I cranked up the old inefficient oil boiler heat to be as cozy as pellet heat, I would use a lot more oil. Therefore even tho I do not sell pellets, I will be using my 3 tons of Oakanagan Golds I purchased in my American made Harman pellet stove where the money goes to American workers and American businesses to keep America strong. :)

US is the largest producer of oil in the world. Last summer US surpassed Russia and Saudi Arabia. People still assume our oil is coming from the middle east most does not.

pellets ate made in the us,oil prices are based on the stock market.pellets all the way!
Yeah, Like the pellet producers are really more concerned about me than their profits?

Reactions: Bridgeman
Hello

Time to replace the old oil guzzler isn`t it?

With oil prices @ $1.90, & projected to hold steady, I'm backing off my pellet purchases this yr. early buy prices were way out of line in my area. I'm planning on running the oil monster majority of winter. Anyone else doing the same???

Going to burn wood, but if the wood supply gets low probably oil over pellets if oil prices stay low

Time to replace the old oil guzzler isn`t it?
I am actually leaning towards on Demand electric hot water with my indirect storage tank and just have the oil boiler for backup. How does that sound?

Backing off pellets this year too. Have a guy coming to give me an estimate on a new furnace too. It will be nice to have options.

My plan for this season is to start out burning oil for Oct, Nov & into Dec.
I have a full tank because I topped it off when it got down to 2.00 a gallon. (I should've waited...it's 1.80 now)
When it gets real cold in Jan, Feb & Mar I'll be switching to pellets 24/7.
I just ordered 4-tons and it will be here in 2 weeks.
If oil is still cheap in Jan/Feb, I'll probably top off the tank for the last few weeks before spring because the house gets too hot if I run pellets then.

I am actually leaning towards on Demand electric hot water with my indirect storage tank and just have the oil boiler for backup. How does that sound?
Those units cost around $600 excluding the costs of plumbing and wiring . Plus electric rates jumped to a 37% increase last dec makes me think it`s a bad idea.
Seems to me an investment in a new updated furnace is the thing to do.

I paid around $189 a ton last year. Just checked prices and almost had a heart attack. I thought pellets fluctuated with the price of oil. I can't imagine there is a shortage of pellets or a huge increase in demand. Anyone have any thoughts on the big price increase?

I'm actually thinking about selling my mt Vernon and switch to propane. Yes it will cost more but I'm tired of lugging these bags, taking all the space in the garage. Also, tired of all the dust in the house.

Probably the biggest gripe I have about most pellet and wood stoves is the circulating of dust. The Bixby has a filter and I built a remote air fan box with a filter for the Harman and have to be careful about removal of ash bin and filling to minimize that dust.

I use my pellet stove to augment my forced air oil furnace. By doing this, I went from burning about 600 gallons of oil a year to 165 gallons of oil last year, while burning 2 1/2 tons of pellets.

So, burning with no pellet stove, $2.00/ gallon X 600 gallons = $1200

With a pellet stove, with the local pellets price of $200/ton, X 2 1/2 tons = $500
My oil furnace used 165 gallons X $2.00/gallon = $330

That's $830 dollars total to heat my house using both pellets and oil, saving me $370 .

I'm burning pellets again this year.

Dave

Reactions: CleanFire
Status
Not open for further replies.