Ok....Here is My setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sequoia

Apr 10, 2015
Iowa
Im open to constructive criticism.
Sorry, can't seem to flip the pic.
IMG_0904.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0910.JPG
    IMG_0910.JPG
    751 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Reactions: Soundchasm
To me, the pallet ends seem restrictive of air flow. But, that's what I'm used to in Pa. Maybe in Iowa you'd be in good shape with that.

So long as you keep enough around for a few years on hand, you'll learn what works and doesn't work as you go...... No matter what, that wood split and piled there, even if it isn't the best of circumstances for drying, will be better than what so many people go out and harvest in the fall to burn that same year, have to work with.

As always, keep an eye on the chimney and see how it works out for you.

It seems like I try and make the wheel rounder every year, always something new to learn or try based on experience. Keep at it! Well done!

I also like the pallet bookends. I prefer to stack two rows on a pallet, leaning back towards each other. Space them out a bit to get good airflow. Also longer rows mean less bookends needed.

2FE944AF-A638-4D19-836D-947AC2B9B61D_zpsfgbegpcy.jpg

Reactions: pen
Just make sure that you have access from both ends. So you don't end up with a cord or more that you don't use stuck in the back for years. Like happens with my shed.

Me too. I had to pull a cord of wood left over this year, put in the new wood, then restack the old in front. I may open the back of the shed so that I can pull wood from there next year. Getting too old for this crap.

I too am trying palette bookends this year. So far they are working well.

I always get to burn the wood up, as my "wood shed" is under my deck, and wider than deep. Holds about 1 and 1/3 to 1 and 1/2 years worth. I start from one end one year, and the other the next.

In the meantime, I wind up dragging well stacked wood from one place, to the wood shed to fill in the void, each and every year. Double stacking sucks, but if I can time it right, I get to do my wood pile migration before it would be good to get back into the woods and do some cutting anyway,,, as there would still be snow and/or mud yet.

I just think of "the wood migration" as spring exercise, although I did cheat this year and used a 4wheeler and wagon instead of just the wheel barrow.

To me, the pallet ends seem restrictive of air flow. But, that's what I'm used to in Pa. Maybe in Iowa you'd be in good shape with that.

So long as you keep enough around for a few years on hand, you'll learn what works and doesn't work as you go...... No matter what, that wood split and piled there, even if it isn't the best of circumstances for drying, will be better than what so many people go out and harvest in the fall to burn that same year, have to work with.

As always, keep an eye on the chimney and see how it works out for you.

It seems like I try and make the wheel rounder every year, always something new to learn or try based on experience. Keep at it! Well done!
Thanks for the feed back!

I actually used pallets to make a coral plus cable to discourage would be opportunists.

Reactions: Soundchasm and pen
I actually used pallets to make a coral plus cable to discourage would be opportunists.

If that is a real threat, then any benefit to changing the setup would be nill if stuff is stolen.

You'll just have to see how it seasons, and go from there.

pen

Reactions: sequoia
By the way, here is a tip for cheap to free tarps.

Go to your local lumber yard and ask if they have any spare pieces of "lumber wrap"
Better than Tyvek and since they can't sell it they may let some go because it piles up quick.

image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg Have been wondering the best rotation myself the past few weeks. Hoping to be a full 3 CSS years ahead by the end of the fall. Here is my current set up. Just picked up the run in and will move about 2
cords in along with the cord+ that is by the house. Will be purchasing tarps once finished. All comments are welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.