Ok now for chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bebopin

Hearth Supporter
Dec 29, 2007
Wisconsin
Went up into the attic today and took these pictures of the brick chimney.As you can see it stops at the floor of the attic.
009.jpg
The size is 9 1/2'' by about 13''.Looking down into it the bricks look to be in good shape
007.jpg
.Hard to get a better look all the way down.But there is some debrey that will have to come out.
006.jpg
The pipe that is there right now is about 4'' from the wall so i assume that there will have to be a bend put in and a new exit out of the roof.
001.jpg
003.jpg
002.jpg

I am thinking that I will have a ss liner from the attic down and then double wall pipe out the roof?

That just looks scary!

That pipe you see is for a gas furnace that is no more. just pipe from basement to the roof.

Yikes, boy am I glad you weren't burning with that. There is zero clearance to the roof deck from the single wall pipe. That sure was never inspected!

Are you sure that isn't a gas or oil furnace pipe?? You'll need to confirm that first.

If that pipe is definitely not used, I would just tear out the chimney on the first floor. You should be able to get it out in a few hours. That opens up better looking possibilities below and better stove placement (maybe don't open the wall and do a corner install. It will need class A pipe down through the attic and double-wall below.

IF it is to be uses as a chimney: replace with SS Class A. If not to be used: get rid of it.

If that pipe is definitely not used, I would just tear out the chimney on the first floor. You should be able to get it out in a few hours. That opens up better looking possibilities below and better stove placement (maybe don’t open the wall and do a corner install. It will need class A pipe down through the attic and double-wall below.

I see what you are saying but remember this is a 150 yr old house.and the more I tear into it the more chance of it falling apart.lol

I really do not want to remove the brick on the 1st floor.I was just going to open up a space for the pipe to exit into the chimney and attach to the liner.
The other thing is for a corner install i will be taking away living room area and the wife will not have that.
I can see that there is going to be alot to this install.But that is what i was expecting. thanks Phil

I procrastinated on the same idea on an 82 yr old house. Boy am I glad I finally got to it. Go for it, it's worth it. Stop trying to build around problems.

But be sure that pipe will never be used again! It sure looks like a furnace or something.

Ya that pipe will be long gone.I will have to see what i get into as this project gets going.It is a whole livingroom remodel so I may have to do more then i think.

Good to hear the pipe is no longer functional. Even with a gas furnace those clearances were scary.

Do yourself a favor. Imagine that you have an unlimited budget for a moment. Examine how that would change what you do. Ask yourself what would be the perfect solution. Often we make more work for ourselves and end up with a compromised plan because we try to workaround obstacles that appear to be too much work to correct. Give yourself permission to fantasize and idealize for a bit. Paper is very cheap as compared to wall removal and hearth building.

unlimited budget...hmmmmm Well it is going to be a good size budget but not that much.
Hear is one more pic to give you a better idea.
HPIM2144.gif

The stove will be maybe 8'' further back.Clearance from corner of stove to door jam around 18'' +- 1''.Manuel states from corner to unprotected surface 14''.

Man this stove is heavy...hard to move by myself.

I would forget about lining as you don't have a properly built chimney (doesn't extend out the roof) and would just use black pipe straight up to the ceiling and then transition to double wall insulated (Type 103HT) through the roof. The black pipe to get you to the ceiling is comparatively cheap (about the same as you liner will cost) and you will need Type 103HT (sometimes called Class A) from the ceiling to the roof anyway. A chimney isn't something you want to cobble together.

The only thing with that is I have a 2 story home and the pipe would be right in the middle of the room upstairs.And from what I have read and looked at there should be no problems with using the right pipe in the attic going out the roof.

People transition from a masonry chimney to double wall insulated pipe (Type 103HT) all the time (see pic), but I haven't heard of anyone going from a lined masonry chimney to double wall insulated before. I am not sure how you would do the transition, or if you would just run the liner all the way up through the double wall insulated pipe? You can't just run the liner out the roof though.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 438
Being there is no terracotta liner in the old chimney, when you run inside the old chimney, you will need either A). Double wall insulated pipe, or B). the liner pipe will have to be insulated to meet current code. Not even sure liner could be used in that chimney setup, appears it has no closure on top or bottom. What supports the chimney at the bottom?

It's just a chase. No different than if it was built out of sheetrock. Just thicker and stronger. Why tear it out and then have to build a chase through the second floor?

Leelli has got it right. You need an anchor plate and some Class A out the roof. I think Simpson Duravent makes a "transition anchor plate" that lets you go from a SS liner to the 6" Class A. That would be ideal.

That is what i am thinking is going to have to be done. Just need to find the right product for the job.

OK, I didn't know it was 2 story. So why not repair the chimney in the attic and up through the roof? It might be less money and would allow a continuous liner all the way up. I'd at least get a mason to look at it and give a quote.

OK....Got the old pipe out of the chimney today.
003-1.gif
And now for the ?.
Am I going to be able to have a liner with insulation up to the top of the bricks in the attic.
009.gif
The liner will be about 15' from where the pipe from the stove enters the chimney.
002-1.gif
Then at the top of bricks in the attic have a cap that liner is attached to.From there have class A pipe extending out the roof?
I do thank all of you that are putting up with all of my Questions.But I am just trying to get this right.I have called a few chimney services and None have yet to call me back.So this is the next best thing.

Call a mason too. It will be worth getting a comparison quote.

You don't want to have too long a horizontal run if you can avoid it. From the photo it doesn't look like 15', nore like 2 ft up and about 6 ft over. Also note that if this is the exact stove location, you may not have to open the wall past the 2nd 16" bay. The way it is configured I think this would be considered a corner installation. If so that is what determines clearances. It's hard to tell from a photo, due to space compression by the lens. Having an accurate top down view with dimensions would help a lot in planning.

If you can find the right parts that's what you can do, insulated liner up to the top of the masonry and then Class A out the roof. You just need an anchor plate that lets you transition from a liner to Class A. I see your masonry doesn't have any clay tiles in it so you definitely need to insulate the new liner.

http://www.duravent.com/pdf/catalogs/duratech.pdf

Look on page 19, Transition Anchor Plate

Looks like it is made to transition from duraliner to the duratech class A. The duraliner is a rigid liner system by Simpson Duravent. We install the duraliner 3 times this winter and Hogz also installed it himself for his insert. It is double wall rigid liner with an insulation wrap in it. Its very similar to class A except its made for relining.

Goes in like a charm, drafts like a charm, worth every penny ;)
Pre insulated, so no messing with an insulation wrap that can get caught up trying to get it in the old chimney.

Oh, and cleans like a breeze ;)

Thanks JTP
That is exactly what I am looking to do. Now maybe I can get this Baby installed and fired up before the cold temps are over for the year.

OHHHH and also GO PACK GO

Just noticed you are in WI. You near Madison or Milwaukee?

Oshkosh Home of EAA flyin

Status
Not open for further replies.