ok to close Bypass or better to leave open?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have removed my catalyst & the heavy metal housing it rests in (to burn a creosote log & then maybe 15 days burning after that before I reinstall the catalyst with it's metal housing.
So these 15 days of fires 24/7 without my catalyst + housing, I have the bypass open so everything goes up the chimney which is where it will go to anyways no matter what I do with the bypass, but is there a good reason to leave the bypass opened or closed during this 15 day period? I was wondering if the stove will retain/radiate heat a bit better if the bypass is closed if there is a slower "exhaust" having to 1st go through the more front/ metal part of the stove with a closed bypass instead of immediately going to the rear/open chimney part of the stove with an open bypass?
But maybe you have a good reason for me to keep the bypass open , maybe the stove could get too hot without the metal housing & it's 4 nuts on the 4 bolts which hold it?
Thanks

What is the reason for removing the catalyst in the first place? Creosote logs are not a great substitute for a proper chimney cleaning.

I know and understood your writing, but what is the purpose of what you did? That is no different than a smoke dragon. I don't know how much a creosote log will help if you are putting way more creosote burning that way. Maybe I didn't understand your post.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to guess your stove manufacturer would not recommend burning at all with the Cat portion removed. I would think you may risk overfiring/damaging something without those components? Contact them and let us know!

I'm pretty sure that Stoll will reiterate what is in the manual:

It is against Federal Regulations to operate your wood heater with the catalytic combustors deactivated or removed.

Reactions: lsucet and moresnow
You must be burning an awful lot of wood with the bypass left open.

If a creosote log only helps to modify any creosote deposits to make cleaning the chimney easier, why not burn the log, clean the chimney and put everything back and call it a day ?

Reactions: blacktail
Thank you to everyone.
Here's what I was trying to accomplish.
I was told to never burn a creosote log with the catalyst in because it will gum up the catalyst regardless of what the creosote log manufacturer states. Also I was told that after a few fires some of the deposits may fall down onto the top of the stove, and rather than wait to clean that off the top of the stove many years from now when I have the catalyst out again, just go ahead and leave the catalyst out for a few fires so that I can move the stove back out without the catalyst to gain access to clean the top of the stove (without the catalyst to try to avoid damaging/banging the catalyst because it is not easy to move the stove nor insert & remove the catalyst).

"If a creosote log only helps to modify any creosote deposits to make cleaning the chimney easier, why not burn the log, clean the chimney and put everything back and call it a day ?" Yes, that makes more sense, the instructions of the creosote log state to burn fires for about 15 days after it before cleaning the chimney, also as mentioned I anticipated a bunch of stuff falling on top of the stove upon cleaning and even just from burning. But I get your gist, and spring time would be better no doubt.

Am I correct in assuming that you guys never burn creosote logs? I thought I was doing good preventive maintenance? I do realize that creosote is less of an issue if you burn properly and that means with catalyst etc. This whole no-catalyst-thing was only an idea for the a few days after the creosote log so I could move the stove back out to clean the top of it without the catalyst being in the stove; it's not an easy procedure to remove and insert the catalyst nor move the stove.
Thank you again to everyone and I will always welcome more comments.

It's great that you are trying to be proactive. Is it pretty easy or difficult to clean the flue? When the bypass is open is there a straight shot up the liner? If there is access to the liner with the bypass open it may be fairly easy to clean the liner with a Sooteater rotary brush,

FWIW I have never burned a creosote log in decades of burning, but I am not running a cat stove which can have cooler flue temps and a dirtier flue. If the wood supply is nice and dry there may not be heavy creosote accumulation. If the wood is not well seasoned then the remedy is to burn a bit hotter to keep flue temps up and sweep more frequently.

Thank you to everyone.
Here's what I was trying to accomplish.
I was told to never burn a creosote log with the catalyst in because it will gum up the catalyst regardless of what the creosote log manufacturer states. Also I was told that after a few fires some of the deposits may fall down onto the top of the stove, and rather than wait to clean that off the top of the stove many years from now when I have the catalyst out again, just go ahead and leave the catalyst out for a few fires so that I can move the stove back out without the catalyst to gain access to clean the top of the stove (without the catalyst to try to avoid damaging/banging the catalyst because it is not easy to move the stove nor insert & remove the catalyst).

"If a creosote log only helps to modify any creosote deposits to make cleaning the chimney easier, why not burn the log, clean the chimney and put everything back and call it a day ?" Yes, that makes more sense, the instructions of the creosote log state to burn fires for about 15 days after it before cleaning the chimney, also as mentioned I anticipated a bunch of stuff falling on top of the stove upon cleaning and even just from burning. But I get your gist, and spring time would be better no doubt.

Am I correct in assuming that you guys never burn creosote logs? I thought I was doing good preventive maintenance? I do realize that creosote is less of an issue if you burn properly and that means with catalyst etc. This whole no-catalyst-thing was only an idea for the a few days after the creosote log so I could move the stove back out to clean the top of it without the catalyst being in the stove; it's not an easy procedure to remove and insert the catalyst nor move the stove.
Thank you again to everyone and I will always welcome more comments.
What stove do you have?Why would you have to move the stove out? How would you get anything ontop of the stove? You are going to have to figure out how to clean your setup without all the complication. It will need done every year and the cat will need replaced every few years.

Is it pretty easy or difficult to clean the flue?
Difficult
When the bypass is open is there a straight shot up the liner?
No

If the wood supply is nice and dry there may not be heavy creosote accumulation. If the wood is not well seasoned then the remedy is to burn a bit hotter to keep flue temps up and sweep more frequently.
Roger that. I have good wood & burn hot

What stove do you have?
XTEC 2500

You are going to have to figure out how to clean your setup without all the complication. It will need done every year and the cat will need replaced every few years.
OK will do
Thank you again

after a few fires some of the deposits may fall down onto the top of the stove, and rather than wait to clean that off the top of the stove many years from now when I have the catalyst out again, just go ahead and leave the catalyst out for a few fires so that I can move the stove back out without the catalyst to gain access to clean the top of the stove (without the catalyst to try to avoid damaging/banging the catalyst because it is not easy to move the stove nor insert & remove the catalyst).

I'm trying to wrap my head around the process.

Are you saying that it will be many years until you sweep your flue?

Is the insert actually set up in such a way that it has to be pulled out, liner disconnected, and cat removed every time the flue is swept?

OR do you have a situation where the flue is full of tarry creosote that you are trying to modify so that it can be swept?

Why do you want to burn a creosote log in the first place?

Is the XTEC 2500 the same as the High Valley 2500? We rarely hear about this stove and I have only seen it once on stove show floor. Outside of cleaning, how is the stove working for you?

Is it pretty easy or difficult to clean the flue?
Difficult
No

If the wood supply is nice and dry there may not be heavy creosote accumulation. If the wood is not well seasoned then the remedy is to burn a bit hotter to keep flue temps up and sweep more frequently.
Roger that. I have good wood & burn hot

What stove do you have?
XTEC 2500

You are going to have to figure out how to clean your setup without all the complication. It will need done every year and the cat will need replaced every few years.
OK will do
Thank you again
Ok yes you can sweep up through the bypass. And yes you will have to drop the cat every year to clean it. Make sure you put antiseize on the studs before putting the cat housing back. And if it is installed correctly there should be no reason to have to pull the stove untill you replace it.

Is the XTEC 2500 the same as the High Valley 2500? We rarely hear about this stove and I have only seen it once on stove show floor. Outside of cleaning, how is the stove working for you?
I am pretty sure them bucks and alaskas are all the same stove. I cant tell the difference between any of those when cleaning.

In the past I have burnt a creosote log every 3-4 years then go to sweep the chimney & it is pristine, in great shape, no creosote,

No I was going to do it after a few fires after the creosote log

Is the insert actually set up in such a way that it has to be pulled out, liner disconnected, and cat removed every time the flue is swept?
I remove the catalyst to not gum it up with the creosote log, that is what I was told.
Yes, some stuff can fall on the stove top during cleaning so I just clean it & was told to do it this way

Just trying to be preventive, I thought I was supposed to.

Is the XTEC 2500 the same as the High Valley 2500?
yes,
We rarely hear about this stove and I have only seen it once on stove show floor. Outside of cleaning, how is the stove working for you?
Fantastic, love it, and a hobby the wood & all.

Thanks, you guys have helped

Last edited by a moderator:
In the past I have burnt a creosote log every 3-4 years then go to sweep the chimney & it is pristine, in great shape, no creosote,

No I was going to do it after a few fires after the creosote log

I remove the catalyst to not gum it up with the creosote log, that is what I was told.
Yes, some stuff can fall on the stove top during cleaning so I just clean it & was told to do it this way

Just trying to be preventive, I thought I was supposed to.

Is the XTEC 2500 the same as the High Valley 2500?
yes,
We rarely hear about this stove and I have only seen it once on stove show floor. Outside of cleaning, how is the stove working for you?
Fantastic, love it, and a hobby the wood & all.
Thanks, you guys have helped
Does the insert have a full stainless liner from the top of the insert to the top of the chimney? If so there is something wrong because there should be no way to get stuff ontop of the stove.

The easiest way to clean these is pull the cat run a rotary cleaner through the bypass it is tight but it fits. Then with a small hose vacume off the internal shelf. It is a little bit of a pain compared to others but not too bad. It takes me 20 mins or so.

If you are sweeping every 3-4 years and getting no creosote, I think the creosote logs are doing nothing for you. Their job is to modify wet creosote into dry crumbly creosote so it can be swept. I would imagine that most of the burners here have never used one.

How are any type of sweepings getting on top of the stove?

Last edited:

Better question...is there a liner?
If there is a liner, it could been cleaned out with a sooteater in 15 minutes.

Better question...is there a liner?
If there is a liner, it could been cleaned out with a sooteater in 15 minutes.
This one takes a little longer than 15 mins but still under 30.