Okanagan Pellets odor of wet dogs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demsta80

Feb 15, 2010
NE Mass
My wife says the okies I have left smell like a wet dog while in the coal hod as well in the hopper? Do all pellets give off this type of odor. I am finishing up my 2nd ton of okies and loved their burn results and relative low ash output but found the fines a bit excessive. Anyone have a comment
Thanks
DC

I knew there was a secret to their awesome pellets. Dogs as biomass.

I've had different pellets make different smells. Never the wet dog smell. Theres an Okies rep that is a Hearth.com member. Maybe he'll have an answer

demsta80 said:
My wife says the okies I have left smell like a wet dog
while in the coal hod as well in the hopper? Do all pellets give off this type of odor.

I've never had anything but a nice fresh wood scent from
the Okies and never experienced a "wet dog" smell
from any pellet brand.

BTU was very particular about stating that the raw product was thoroughly de-barked, so what you're saying does not seem possible.

I bought 1 bag of MWP and the smell was so bad I trashed them.

I bought a few tons of Okies last spring from BJ's for a song. Using them now and they stink like wet dog. So much that my wife told me I MAY NOT buy that brand again. They also crumble easily and have a few more fines than I like but seem to burn fine.

Originally BTU said the BJ's product was 1st rate but later said they did sell off some sub par stuff to them.

mine also have a nasty smell, they don't smell like nice pine like they did 2 months ago, i'm not impressed with there burn lots of ash, i bought 15 bags i'm down to my last 4, I mix them 50-50 with the hammers and will not burn them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.