Okie Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin M

Feeling the Heat
Dec 22, 2008
Southbury, CT
I picked up 2.5 tons of last year's Okies for $500. The best part was that they were less than a mile from my house. I haven't burn them before so I'm excited to try them out.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358526078737.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358526078737.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 135
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358526088992.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358526088992.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 139
That is a good score for sure! I burnt them all last season and was very happy with them. They were too expensive for me this season, couldn't find them for less then $290/ton.

I burned a ton of Okies last year and really liked the heat. Unfortunately my wife didn't like the smell of the pellets (she says they smell like cat piss). I didn't think it was that bad, but there definately was an aroma that's quite noticeable. I have 5 or 6 bags left and haven't touched them this season... maybe I'll try to sneak them in the mix?

I picked up 2.5 tons of last year's Okies for $500. The best part was that they were less than a mile from my house. I haven't burn them before so I'm excited to try them out.
Atta boy! I can't even buy Okies for close to that price. If you bought 2 full pallets you actually have just over 2.5 tons. Either way....works out to $200/ton. Nice.

Atta boy! I can't even buy Okies for close to that price. If you bought 2 full pallets you actually have just over 2.5 tons. Either way....works out to $200/ton. Nice.
It is 125 bags stacked on 2 pallets. I think they may have actually been originally purchased from you.

It is 125 bags stacked on 2 pallets. I think they may have actually been originally purchased from you.
Well then the even better news is they have been stored indoors for their entire existence on this planet! Enjoy.

im considering a load of those :p
I do believe that you could afford them...but don't believe for a minute that you'd be WILLING to spend that kind of money on them.:cool:

Then u won't be able to afford them! You will be broke like the rest of us.

Reactions: jtakeman
I haven't burned any yet, but here's my first observation: The reviews are right... they stink! Infact, my whole garage stinks now. I'll dump a bag in the stove tonight to see how they burn.

You ever see those little green pine tree car freshners. Makes your garage smell like outdoors.

That's why I didn't say anything when I found them on Craigslist 3 days ago!

Smart man. Nice score!

Wonder why so many people say they smell like cat piss. The few brands of softies I've burned smelled extremely nice.

After burning them for a few days I like them better than the Hamer's. Consumption went up slightly , and there is more ash. But, the difference in the type of ash is what I like much better. The little ash that there was from the Hamer's would cake up in the burn pot covering the air holes. This would cause pellets to not get enough air and would eventually fill up the burn pot and spill over the edge. The only solution was to scrape the caked layed out of the burn pot atleast twice a day. The ash from the Okie's performs normally and doesn't require constsnd burn pot maintainance. Remember, these result are from last year's Okie's(white bag) and likely aren't the same as the current ones.

Wonder why so many people say they smell like cat piss. The few brands of softies I've burned smelled extremely nice.

I've burned Okies, Spruce Pointes, Easy Blaze and LG Granules for softwoods. Okies are the only ones that smell bad in my experience. Burn nice and hot though...

Status
Not open for further replies.