Okna windows installed with fiberglass. ..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
Hey guys,
I got a company with great angies list reviews to come in and install okna insul tec 500 series with really good insulation and air infiltration numbers. The problem is they installed them with fiberglass insulation. .. The inside caulk broke on one window and there is a bad draft getting in. I know spray foam would prevent that.

Am I crazy for having them come out, remove capping, spray foam, and install new capping at their cost? They agreed to it. They said that installer is stubborn and insists on using fiberglass. He did a very good job otherwise. This includes a bay window.

Yes get them to spray foam makes for a complete seal
and will expand into very small areas where sure as H double ll
you will get a draft from

He tried to explain that the capping and caulk seals out drafts, but I don't buy that. Anytime cold air comes up the weep holes in the siding it's going to find its way through that fiberglass. I spent a lot of time last summer air sealing my attic with spray foam. The fiberglass was dirty around every gap I found. The stuff is worthless for sealing air.

I'd have them fix it. Make sure they use low expansion foam specifically made for windows and doors.
The installer who insisted on using FG instead may have had issues with window bind caused by over-expansive foam and now avoids foam altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.