Old 1000gallon fuel tank into Thermal Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JJSHELLEY

Jan 18, 2018
Ny
Looking for input on using a Fuel Tank 1000 gallon for Thermal Heat Storage in a closed system. No luck finding LP tanks in the Western New York area.

Looking for input on using a Fuel Tank 1000 gallon for Thermal Heat Storage in a closed system. No luck finding LP tanks in the Western New York area.
You need a tank that was manufactured to handle pressure. It doesn’t take much pressure to balloon a thin walled tank with flat ends.

I got one at a metal scrap yard. He had several LP tanks, and even more retired anhydrous ammonia tanks. Have anything like that near you?

What he said.

All makes sense. Ill keep looking. Most scrap yards around have them but will not sell them. They say its a liability....

All makes sense. Ill keep looking. Most scrap yards around have them but will not sell them. They say its a liability....
I’d keep the fact that you’re going to make a thermal storage tank to yourself. Tell them you’re going to cut it in half to make a big planter or something.

• Haha
Reactions: moresnow
I've always kind of wondered if anyone tried to but a new LP tank? Maybe from a LP place? And how much they cost?

I was starting to get desperate until I found a mountain of used ones at a scrap yard an hour away.

I've always kind of wondered if anyone tried to but a new LP tank? Maybe from a LP place? And how much they cost?

I was starting to get desperate until I found a mountain of used ones at a scrap yard an hour away.
I can tell you in 04-2009 a brand new delivered 500 underground LP tank was 1,312.00 for a job I ordered in SE Mass from Eastern Propane. I have the slip in front of me to prove ownership and it was asked for when we dumped Eastern for price gouging. When you add in the cost for installing proper fittings you really don't save a lot.

I thought about a pair of repurposed LP tanks but then I still needed welding fittings plus a vertical base added and then you lose the ASME rating.
Whole lot easier and faster to buy new rated tanks that I will never have to worry about in my life time. I picked them up (one at a time) and brought them north. Unloaded them and staged them by myself. Two guys easily stood them up in position then I built the surround for them.
I'm not sure 2 guys can easily stand up a completed LP tank but I've never tried myself.

I also picked up two new tanks in Maine and brought them down to a friend in MA who was shocked on the prices he was getting for 200? gallon tanks down here.
IIRC I saved him over 100 bucks each so it pays to shop around. My supplier dropped them at my house, I loaded them and they were off loaded at his place. He quickly found out that to get them filled he had to show proof of ownership AND the gas inspection from the inspector but I knew that was coming so we had the paperwork all in order. He was very thankful for the savings as well as the knowledge of the process.