Old Church Converted into Residence?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

project240

Nov 30, 2010
Alberta
What do you guys think? We've (family of 4) been looking for a little while at houses and being a carpenter, I like finding something needing some updating, etc so I can build some equity.

Anyways, during my searching I came across an old church for sale. It's already zoned for residential and the price is pretty good. Obviously it would be a huge project to get it to a point where it would be considered a home, but it could become an extremely unique space.

I have no problem replacing flooring, painting, putting up new walls, tiles, etc, however, my concern is that there may be a lot more work involved that I am not considering. The kitchen is set up in a more commercial style, which would require some attention. One other concern is the bathrooms, which would require a lot of work as well as putting in at least one completely new bathroom, which I'm unsure of the cost.

Here are a couple of pictures...

church1-1.gif
church2-1.gif
church3-1.gif
church4-1.gif

Am I crazy for even thinking about it? What do you guys think?

Interesting. When was the building built? I would be concerned with insulation/heating requirements. What kind of sqft are you looking at?

Built in 1980, just under 2500sqft on each level. HVAC was a concern of mine as well... I'd like to see some previous bills to see actual costs.

Since it wasn't built as a residence, is the plumbing up to snuff to turn it into one? I mean, water supply and sewage/drainage, etc.?

What is the all in cost per square foot? In the current market, you can afford to be frugal. Will a bank loan on this?

Utility bills won't be very helpful. Your family will want it heated 720 hours per month. Church buildings are seldom warm in the sanctuary more than Sunday and Wednesday evening. Say eight hours on Sunday and four hours on Wednesday ~ 48 hours per month. Then the office if open Tue - Fri business hours could be heated 128 hours/month with small space heaters.

That building looks like it was constructed by a contractor. If so, there should be a set of plans and specs from an architect. Ask the congregation for those to find out the level of insulation. If it was professionally designed, the HVAC equipment might be over sized for quick heat/cooling and to handle latent heat from a large number of people. Not the best for around the clock, as it will short cycle much of the year.

At the new building, the church volunteers that took care of the old building will likely be taking care of the new building. A great source for information.

On the plus side, the parking lot will be a great wood processing and storage area.

project240 said:
Built in 1980, just under 2500sqft on each level. HVAC was a concern of mine as well... I'd like to see some previous bills to see actual costs.
That's a lot of area to heat, I'd definitely be looking at some of the previous heating bills. If those costs are reasonable, and you can get the place cheap enough and still have enough money left over for renos, the wide open spaces would make for an interesting and relatively easy conversion. Because the of the way the roof is built (no attic) there is likely little or possibly no insulation up there, so I would suspect the heating/cooling bills might be quite high.
Are there any building envelope issues you know about? (eg. old or leaky roof, mold, or moldy smell in basement, etc...)
Your not crazy, but be sure what you might be getting into.

Jimbom has some great suggestion, but I disagree that the previous heating bill wouldn't be useful. Using the type of information Jim talked about getting, and finding out what the minimum heating cost were, and using a little math, you could make a pretty good estimate at what it would cost to heat full time.

bluedogz said:
Since it wasn't built as a residence, is the plumbing up to snuff to turn it into one? I mean, water supply and sewage/drainage, etc.?

Municipal water and sewage.

Carbon_Liberator said:
project240 said:

Are there any building envelope issues you know about? (eg. old or leaky roof, mold, or moldy smell in basement, etc...)
Your not crazy, but be sure what you might be getting into.

I haven't actually looked at the place in person yet. I ran across it when searching for homes in the area and am now trying to determine possibilities/options/costs before going to look and even considering it. As far as price per sq ft goes, it is significantly less than homes in the area (less than half) I guess for obvious reasons.

I could see a great big stove up on the former altar platform. The Church of Wood Heat! :lol:

If the price is right, you can't go wrong, IMO. Such a project has been a dream of mine for years and years.
Also important: what is the neighborhood like? If it's inner-city type, its value may decrease over the years.
Traffic and noise are factors,too.

Friend of my FIL owns a stone church here in Maryland. Since the day he brought it, it has been an albatross, the up keep is hugh and it's now falling into disrepair. It's not so much if you can buy it now as could you sell it later on.

Consider resale value. A smaller percentage of buyers will want to consider an old church than, say, a a trilevel or ranch.

Build a house inside the church, envelope style. Great access to plumbing and wiring!

I would also suggest that the exterior is not very interesting. In my area, the historic churches are snapped up for conversion due to the exterior appeal.
Not being critical, just thinking resale...

rkshed said:
I would also suggest that the exterior is not very interesting. In my area, the historic churches are snapped up for conversion due to the exterior appeal.
Not being critical, just thinking resale...

Yeah, something from the 1800's or with really great architectural details, it would probably have a higher resale potential.

If It was me I would use the upstairs 2500ish feet as a house and then the rest as a nice workshop/garage.

It would be a tough sell for a "standard" family, but it would be a car guys wet dream come true.

NATE379 said:
If It was me I would use the upstairs 2500ish feet as a house and then the rest as a nice workshop/garage.

It would be a tough sell for a "standard" family, but it would be a car guys wet dream come true.

Surprisingly, there is actually another garage/workshop on the property that looks to be approx 24x40' plus another portable building around 800sqft.

One other thing we have been thinking about a little bit is the fact that it is on 2.2 acres within town. Standard lots in the area look to sell for around 60-90K. We were thinking we could potentially "keep" 1+acre and subdivide the other half into 2 lots. Money from sale of these lots could finance all the renos...

A lot for us to think about and consider.

project240 said:
...We were thinking we could potentially "keep" 1+acre and subdivide the other half into 2 lots...

Possibly, and it might turn out to be a boon if you could swing it...but you really need to be careful with zoning...I know you said it's zoned residential, but in some jurisdictions, a property zoned R-1 (residential, single family) can't be subdivided. My property is 2.5 acres, zoned R-1, and I cannot subdivide and sell off any part of it...can't even put a "rentable" apartment on the property...only one permanently occupy-able home per lot. Period. Check it out...your location might be potentially subdivided, but if it's something you're counting on to make the thing work for you, by all means verify that during your decision-making process. Quite an interesting prospect with gobs of potential...would be a ton of work to make it into a house. Rick

fossil said:
project240 said:
...We were thinking we could potentially "keep" 1+acre and subdivide the other half into 2 lots...

Possibly, and it might turn out to be a boon if you could swing it...but you really need to be careful with zoning...I know you said it's zoned residential, but in some jurisdictions, a property zoned R-1 (residential, single family) can't be subdivided. My property is 2.5 acres, zoned R-1, and I cannot subdivide and sell off any part of it...can't even put a "rentable" apartment on the property...only one permanently occupy-able home per lot. Period. Check it out...your location might be potentially subdivided, but if it's something you're counting on to make the thing work for you, by all means verify that during your decision-making process. Quite an interesting prospect with gobs of potential...would be a ton of work to make it into a house. Rick

Definitely. The property is zoned R-2 and the listing mentions legal to build up to 13 unit duplex/complex. I assume this means I would have no problems subdividing, but we're having our realtor look into that now for us.

Sooooooooo..... What wood stove you gonna put in this place???????????

sebring said:
Sooooooooo..... What wood stove you gonna put in this place???????????

Something BIG! lol. I could see a couple of BKK possibly doing the trick.

Holy bejesus! Buy it. Not too many people can claim that they live in the House of God.

Lots of older churches in my area are being converted and heating is a major headache. It looks like you may have some advantages though with more modern construction. It looks like you have a hydronic baseboard set up and therefore a boiler with an indirect HWH. Check the plumbing to see if it is zoned, and figure on doing so or modifying it. I would separately insulate and zone each living space or at least separate the main room from the rest. It looks like there may be a slab under the putting green, and if so, you could pour a gypcrete radiant floor. If not, think about ceiling or wall radiant. The baseboard is mostly convective, So the warm air will rise.

Ehouse

As someone who has been thru three major renovation in the last 10 years I would advise you to make sure you have the money and time to get it to where you want it to be. I'm in the middle of renovation a 202 year old house right now and I can you that projects snowball....three grand here, two grand there. I just started a thread about attic insulation that I had no intenions of doing when I started my reno.

Cool place, I could picture Ozzy Osburn (pun intended) living there. Sleep upstairs, jam out downstairs. Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.