Old friend wants to buy bbq wood. He is in the back yard poker catagory.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
woodsmaster said:
I also like to smoke with sugar maple. OK i need to get some smoking wood around I'm getting the itch. S.J. is the wood your selling dry or wet ? I've heard it should be dry then soak in water before using, but I don't Know
what difference it makes ?

Its all well seasoned.....Never tryed sugar got some of that as well. What kind of flavor you get out of sugar Maple?

smokinjay said:
woodsmaster said:
I also like to smoke with sugar maple. OK i need to get some smoking wood around I'm getting the itch. S.J. is the wood your selling dry or wet ? I've heard it should be dry then soak in water before using, but I don't Know

Its all well seasoned.....Never tryed sugar got some of that as well. What kind of flavor you get out of sugar Maple?

Ever try maple cured bacon ?

woodsmaster said:
smokinjay said:
woodsmaster said:

:p I better throw a couple sticks on this load no charge....... :coolhmm:

woodsmaster said:
smokinjay said:
woodsmaster said:

Oh my!! For the first time last week.Take a teaspoon of the melted drippings, 1 or 2 finely chopped green onions fresh from the garden -sautee them for a few minutes then stir them along with some of the crumbled bacon into brown & wild rice or linguini..... Its heaven I tell ya. :coolsmile: I've used sugar maple scraps from the shop,local silver maple on my smoker & Weber kettle,even tried a small chunk of Norway Maple from pruning the neighbor's tree last week. Its all good,though Sugar has the most flavor I'd say.Last Fall I smoked a nice slab of wild-caught Norwegian Salmon with some dry Sugar chunks,one of the best pieces of fish I ever ate. ;-)

Thistle said:
woodsmaster said:
smokinjay said:
woodsmaster said:

Oh my!! For the first time last week.Take a teaspoon of the melted drippings, 1 or 2 finely chopped green onions fresh from the garden -sautee them for a few minutes then stir them along with some of the crumbled bacon into brown & wild rice or linguini..... Its heaven I tell ya. :coolsmile: I've used sugar maple scraps from the shop,local silver maple on my smoker & Weber kettle,even tried a small chunk of Norway Maple from pruning the neighbor's tree last week. Its all good,though Sugar has the most flavor I'd say.Last Fall I smoked a nice slab of wild-caught Norwegian Salmon with some dry Sugar chunks,one of the best pieces of fish I ever ate. ;-)

Never would have taught to use silver either. Seem's hickory is the big one here, and sugar is very rare.

Jake, being an old friend does tend to make this a bit tricky for charging. But you still have to charge enough to cover your butt as that indeed can be some work. I'd put some in buckets and then figure out the total cu. ft. so that in the future you could deliver without stuffing those buckets. Those buckets like that are not easy to handle.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jake, being an old friend does tend to make this a bit tricky for charging. But you still have to charge enough to cover your butt as that indeed can be some work. I'd put some in buckets and then figure out the total cu. ft. so that in the future you could deliver without stuffing those buckets. Those buckets like that are not easy to handle.

Those buckets are a bit, was the only thing I had (over 30 of them given to me). I told him up front that I have enough that money not nessary. Hes running 6-8 bags 20lbers of kingsford and 30-40 lbs of chips. He got a 2 sponsor but as I remember that don't pay well. He is to the point that he really starting to look at cost. I will try and post a pic of him....This guy has bbq pouring out of him! :lol:

HardWoodW said:
how good are his ribs and pulled pork? I'd be inclined to barter

I'm an atheist... but this deserves an AMEN.

Split it all at once if you can- get ahead on the stuff. Save splitter trash too.

Jay, If you run out of buckets, most paint stores will give ya used 5 gal buckets for free if you just ask.

Bocefus78 said:
Jay, If you run out of buckets, most paint stores will give ya used 5 gal buckets for free if you just ask.

Thats what I have in the other one's Sold!

Anyone who where a hat and shirt like that Better Be GOOD! :cheese:

Attachments

• bd.jpg
    bd.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 220
  • bd1.jpg
    bd1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 217
Adios Pantalones said:
Split it all at once if you can- get ahead on the stuff. Save splitter trash too.

Bingo - I would split up enough at one time to last a while. Then just fill buckets as needed. Turns into a 5 min. job.

smokinjay said:

Them ain't no sissy baby backs either. ;-)

smokinjay said:
amateur cutter said:
C'mon up. I got an easy cord of hickory C/C/S I can send home with ya. Has he used cherry too or not? The apple is hard to come by around here.

Wild cherry they will not use, but fuirt cherry tree they will.

My wild cherry has real small cherrys, I didn't realize that the cherry everyone talks about burning as firewood was not the same, I stacked some out by my smoker and plan on using.

cptoneleg said:
smokinjay said:
amateur cutter said:
C'mon up. I got an easy cord of hickory C/C/S I can send home with ya. Has he used cherry too or not? The apple is hard to come by around here.

My wild cherry has real small cherrys, I didn't realize that the cherry everyone talks about burning as firewood was not the same, I stacked some out by my smoker and plan on using.

I know there a lot that do use it. This guy is doing Competition bbq so wild cherry is a Little distracting or to aromatic for that if you will.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:

Them ain't no sissy baby backs either. ;-)

LOL, He's got a wall full of trophy's! He needs to win one this year and can turn pro. (Memphis up front, not in the back)

smokinjay said:
cptoneleg said:
smokinjay said:
amateur cutter said:

I know there a lot that do use it. This guy is doing Competition bbq so wild cherry is a Little distracting or to aromatic for that if you will.

I have found that the wild cherry works of you are doing thinner cuts like chops or chicken hooters with quicker cooking time. For shoulder/butts, brisket, etc. it is too much. I stick with the classic of hickory and a bit of fruit woods.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
cptoneleg said:
smokinjay said:
amateur cutter said:

I have found that the wild cherry works of you are doing thinner cuts like chops or chicken hooters with quicker cooking time. For shoulder/butts, brisket, etc. it is too much. I stick with the classic of hickory and a bit of fruit woods.

I used black cherry quite a bit (mostly on pork). A little goes a long way, but I like it. Just have to make sure it is well seasoned you don't overdo it, or mix it with something a little more mild. Cherry and apple are a good combo.

Jags said:
Adios Pantalones said:

Bingo - I would split up enough at one time to last a while. Then just fill buckets as needed. Turns into a 5 min. job.

Hate to get to far ahead my furnace would burn them down like match sticks. I only ligh a fire once a season.... :cheese:

smokinjay said:
Hate to get to far ahead my furnace would burn them down like match sticks. I only ligh a fire once a season.... :cheese:

Just set that stuff aside for your "customer".

Jags said:
smokinjay said:

Just set that stuff aside for your "customer".

I done 16 buckets last night. Plans are to do a rick in the Morning. Best part is anyone can split down splits!.... :cheese:
I throw the bbq guy some of the hard maple to try see if he bits on that again.. :coolsmile:

After the discretion of the maple bacon I cant get that taste out of my month! lol

HardWoodW said:

That's what I'm talking about!!

wendell said:
HardWoodW said:

That's what I'm talking about!!

Well he pick it up a couple hours ago and hes jumping out of his skin! Hes got a catering job of 45 for the 4th and a contest on the 15th.....Wish I had a snap shot of him checking it out....Love's the Idea of the Sugar Maple! Life really pick up for a guy running that much bbq with 80 percent charcoal! Bet it will be at-least 50/50 real quick!

oldspark said:
smokinjay would have a new meaning

Thats where it came from.....Really... :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.