Q&A Old gas fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have an older house which has a gas fireplace, it is bricked up and what I want to know is do I need a chimney for a gas fireplace, I would like to get this fireplace working again and would appreciate any help . I have no idea if this house used to have a chimney or not there is no evidence of one, please help.

Answer:

There are some gas fireplaces which are Vent Free, others that are direct vent (thru the wall) and still others that need a chimney to the top. Consult your local hearth professional for the best solution.<p>
A bricked up chimney should be viewed as suspect. Many times the flues have been blocked with masonry or other debris. Some are also cut off at the roof level - in other words they terminate in the attic.<p>
Make certain you have a pro look at this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.