Old Homelite troubles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim K in PA

Minister of Fire
I have an old blue/white Homelite XL12 that a friend gave me not running. I cleaned the wood chips out of the carb and then it ran fine. Now I am having a new problem with no fuel flow. The diaphragm in the carb is OK, but it appears the gas line is clogged. I pulled the rubber line off the copper hard line going to the tank, and tried to blow air through. Nothing. No bubbles, and plugged up tight.

Is there a seperate pump/diaphragm in or at the tank? Will it only pass fuel if the engine is turning over?

To get to the side of the fuel tank, I have to pull the clutch, and I do not have the tool to remove it. It's frustrating, because it is still a good old saw with good compression. It cut great as my backup saw a couple of weeks ago when I wrecked the chain on my Stihl. :mad:

Thanks for any help keeping this old iron going.

Try changing the fuel filter on the end of the line inside the gas tank. You can probably fish it out with a screwdriver or a peice of coathanger wire with a hook on one end. If that doesn't work, you will probably need to replace the rubber line.

Gooserider

Jim K in PA said:
I have an old blue/white Homelite XL12 that a friend gave me not running. I cleaned the wood chips out of the carb and then it ran fine. Now I am having a new problem with no fuel flow. The diaphragm in the carb is OK, but it appears the gas line is clogged. I pulled the rubber line off the copper hard line going to the tank, and tried to blow air through. Nothing. No bubbles, and plugged up tight.

Is there a seperate pump/diaphragm in or at the tank? Will it only pass fuel if the engine is turning over?

To get to the side of the fuel tank, I have to pull the clutch, and I do not have the tool to remove it. It's frustrating, because it is still a good old saw with good compression. It cut great as my backup saw a couple of weeks ago when I wrecked the chain on my Stihl. :mad:

Thanks for any help keeping this old iron going.

Hello Jim,

You might want to try checking on that at http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune;=&f=9 The old homies are a little different then todays saws. There is a few Homelite guys on that site that will fix ya up.

Goose - thanks for the suggestion, but you cannot see the bottom of the tank of this beastie because of the way it is designed. I doubt there is even a flexible pickup in there!

Taxi-D - thanks for the link. I will wander over there and see what I can learn.

Jim K in PA said:
Goose - thanks for the suggestion, but you cannot see the bottom of the tank of this beastie because of the way it is designed. I doubt there is even a flexible pickup in there!

Taxi-D - thanks for the link. I will wander over there and see what I can learn.

Could be there is no pickup, but I'd be amazed if there weren't - it is pretty much of a requirement that chainsaws have flexible pickups on both the gas and oil tanks in order to allow them to operate in all positions... Usually you can hear them rattling around if you shake an empty saw... (and you don't have to see the bottom of the tank to go fishing... :coolsmirk: )

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.