Old hot water tanks for thermal storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arngnick

Feb 15, 2013
Mansfield, PA
I have access to alot of free electric hot water tanks is it a good Idea to plumb these together and use them for thermal storage? (In my case I am just trying to add capacity)

Can't hurt, in my opinion. As long as they don't leak. I probably wouldn't use them for pressurized storage though. Just a bunch of hassles that go along with pressure vessels. Each one should have expansion to go along with it i would think.

just know that they will most likely have lots of lime and gunk in the bottom that you may be introducing to the system.
karl

Reactions: Taylor Sutherland
I'd be a bit leery - questionable water quality can really put a kicking into a DHW tank. They are typically used under higher pressures than a storage setup (like, twice as much), but not temperatures that are as high.

Any 110 gallon propane tanks around you? There's a mountain of them an hour away from me. They fit almost anywhere, 30" diameter x 4ft. tall.

Based on the comments here I will just stick to propane tanks. No need to risk using old DHW tanks if one were to fail that is alot of water that would be in my basement. I just need to find some good deals on old propane tanks they are neot that easy to find around me. I can travel about 3 hours and get them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.