Old House, New to Propane...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayT_B

Jun 16, 2014
Oregon
Over the years we have had wood stoves and pellet stoves. I had no fear of leaving either one going while sleeping or away at work. We recently moved into a house built in 1948. Each of the two bedrooms have a small electric cadet heater running off of a thermostat. The only other source of heat for the rest of the house is a propane stove. It has a remote control you can turn it off and on with as well as acting as the thermostat, setting the desired temperature and cycling on an off to maintain.

As stated before, I never worried about leaving our two previous sources of heat unattended, and I see no reason with the propane stove to be any different. Just trying to be cautious and hope I have not missed anything while thinking this through.

Thank you,

Jace

Are you asking if its safe?

If you are unsure it might be a good idea to have it inspected by a professional.....

Thank you bobdog. I take from your reply that it should be safe given the integrity of everything and an inspection proves it is up to snuff. I appreciate the reply.

Jace

by the way, welcome to the forum. Watch and listen and you will find a wealth of info here.

If you had a home inspection that is a decent start but the home inspectors around here know a little about everything not much about any one thing. I would find a stove company that sells/installs a propane appliance like the one you have. Ask them who a good Sweep/inspection company in your area is. Have a pro take a look and it will give you huge peace of mind. There is always the possibility that your stove was installed by a homeowner without any inspection at install.

Reactions: DAKSY
Like bobdog2o02 said, get the installation inspected & certified.
If the install passes code, a VENTED gas stove is a safe as a gas hot air furnace.
You didn't say whether or not it was a Direct Vent, B-Vent or room vented...

I took a picture to post here of what it looks like in the living room. It was professionally installed. I was unable to post the picture here as it appears the picture must be hosted on a website somewhere for it to be posted in the forum. I apologize for being unsuccessful at it.
My reason for posting a picture here is to gain advice as how to move the air around the room. I will attempt to paint the picture of how we are doing it so far, but we do not really care for it and seeking an alternative, or rather, another option.
The stove is in a corner, vented through the roof. It has no blower/fan installed for it. The stove top is 27" from the floor. To the right of the stove, we have a plant stand roughly 24" tall with a 39" vertical oscillating fan on it. Being that it is sitting next to rather than in front of or over the stove the heat distribution is not the greatest (strictly my opinion, whether right or wrong). We were trying to avoid in front of as to not block the ambiance of seeing the fire. I am curious if there is a better way to distribute the heat and take advantage of the warmer/hotter air being radiated directly above the stove? This is a rental house and we absolutely love it. Spending $400 to have a blower/fan installed is difficult to swallow when we do not own the house.
I appreciate everyone listening. Thanks again.

Jace

Buy a few smaller fans, 6" or so. Place them in the colder areas on the floor on the lowest setting. Set them up pointed toward the room with the stove. If you move the cold air out to the stove it will be replaced with warmer air from the stove.... Think of it like a big convection.

BTW, that osculating fan probably isn't doing much other messing with your thermostat.

Bobdog...thank you for the suggestion. Our living room is roughly 30' x 30'. Being that the stove is in one corner, I am going to assume the fans would be placed in the other three corners, position them facing towards the stove and having them blow along the floor towards the stove and not point upward at any angle.

Bobdog...thank you for the suggestion. Our living room is roughly 30' x 30'. Being that the stove is in one corner, I am going to assume the fans would be placed in the other three corners, position them facing towards the stove and having them blow along the floor towards the stove and not point upward at any angle.

You got it exactly right:)

Also, about the blower install on the stove...... there are many arguments here whether the blower on a stove does anything other than to increase the cost of a stove. These are convection heaters, that being said the hot air rising off of the stove will induce air movement. You can try the toilet paper trick where you use some tape and attach some TP to the ceiling. If it's moving then the stove is working. Do it near your stove, you will be surprised how much air is moving just above it. The goal will be to create that CONVECTION in the HOUSE.......If i was you trying to heat those other rooms with the electric heaters in them i would put some fans at the doorway to those rooms. Suck the cold air out and it should be replaced by the warmer air around the ceiling outside of that room.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.