Old Nashua install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hey all haven't posted in quiet some time and just had some questions. i moved out of my old house about 5 years ago which i installed a pellet stove in and it heated great. the new house has electric heat on the second floor and is terrible and super expensive to run so we decided to get an old Nashua wood stove refurbished. i have all the pipe coming in about a week. The wood stove is a rear exit and will be installed in the basement. i am going to be running the double wall DVL pipe inside and the class a stainless on the exterior. I will need to have a DVL 90 coming off from the back up the stove and then a 48" vertical run up to another 90 going into a 15' horizontal run to the stainless chimney which will run about 30'. question would be if this set up would draft well? i did notice that they save the 90 DVL isn't recommended for rear exit appliances would a possible draft issue be the reason why it isn't recommended and they are just covering their ass?

Three 90º turns in the flue path is not recommended. It will slow down draft considerably. The problem may be even worse in a basement installation which often can be an area of negative pressure. In that case the installation could be dangerous, especially if the draft reversed as the flue grew colder or an exhaust fan was turned on or an upstairs window was opened in the house.

If the goal is to heat with wood, a modern top-vent stove is the best bet. It will use less wood too.

Three 90º turns in the flue path is not recommended. It will slow down draft considerably. The problem may be even worse in a basement installation which often can be an area of negative pressure. In that case the installation could be dangerous, especially if the draft reversed as the flue grew colder or an exhaust fan was turned on or an upstairs window was opened in the house.

If the goal is to heat with wood, a modern top-vent stove is the best bet. It will use less wood too.
so im guessing the T with clean out is considered a 90? i live in a slightly older house that isnt nearly as air tight as newer builds, the previous home owners had a wood stove in basement 30+ years ago. what would your recommendations be on using current nashua stove and running pipe correctly?

Hey all haven't posted in quiet some time and just had some questions. i moved out of my old house about 5 years ago which i installed a pellet stove in and it heated great. the new house has electric heat on the second floor and is terrible and super expensive to run so we decided to get an old Nashua wood stove refurbished. i have all the pipe coming in about a week. The wood stove is a rear exit and will be installed in the basement. i am going to be running the double wall DVL pipe inside and the class a stainless on the exterior. I will need to have a DVL 90 coming off from the back up the stove and then a 48" vertical run up to another 90 going into a 15' horizontal run to the stainless chimney which will run about 30'. question would be if this set up would draft well? i did notice that they save the 90 DVL isn't recommended for rear exit appliances would a possible draft issue be the reason why it isn't recommended and they are just covering their ass?
Are you really saying you plan on running 15 feet horizontally?

no i meant to put " for inches sorry for the confusion!
Ok good. With 30' of chimney it will draft fine. Probably to well you will need atleast 1 pipe damper to control it.

Is your basement insulated?

Reactions: KevinTrilloII
Ok good. With 30' of chimney it will draft fine. Probably to well you will need atleast 1 pipe damper to control it.

Is your basement insulated?
it in not, i know the crete will soak up quiet a bit of heat but the house came with duct work that runs up to the second floor. and the cieling in the basement isn't insulated. i have dual dampers on the stove, not sure if that makes a difference but do you think i would be able to control it quiet a bit from there?

it in not, i know the crete will soak up quiet a bit of heat but the house came with duct work that runs up to the second floor. and the cieling in the basement isn't insulated. i have dual dampers on the stove, not sure if that makes a difference but do you think i would be able to control it quiet a bit from there?
You may be able to i dont know.

And bare basement walls soak up allot of heat. It will be difficult to heat from the basement that way and it will waste allot of wood. In a stove that is already going to be really hungry that means a ton of work for you to keep up.

You may be able to i dont know.

And bare basement walls soak up allot of heat. It will be difficult to heat from the basement that way and it will waste allot of wood. In a stove that is already going to be really hungry that means a ton of work for you to keep up.
we are possibly considering on finish it in the future, but im not sure to the extent. without finishing and having the ugly pink foam insulation on the walls what would you recommended that looks nice and works?