Old Nordic Stove, Ceiling Box Sizzling/Caught Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

oaklandloftstove

Jan 7, 2024
Oakland, CA
Hi,

I know very little about wood burning stove but have been living with an inherited one for the past year which has given me no issue until recently. The stove brand is "Nordic" and it looks old. It's got a long black pipe up to the ceiling which is attached to the cieiling box then to the roof. We were burning one of our first fires of the season several months ago when we heard a sizzling sound and looked up at the ceiling box and saw it aglow with flame. Little embers came floating down from the ceiling box where the box is attached to pipe which was the most concerning aspect of the situation. We haven't burned any fires since but aren't sure what the issue is how we should go about fixing it. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

I believe this stove has been used for ~10 years and have no idea when it was last serviced.

Thanks!
Emily

IMG_6421.jpeg IMG_6420.jpeg IMG_1261.jpeg

Sounds like there may have been a chimney fire. The long stovepipe is cooling down the flue gases a lot which can lead to creosote buildup. Double-wallled stovepipe is recommended for runs over 8 ft. long for this reason. Call a certified sweep to inspect the system and make sure it is still safe to use.

Could have been debris mouse nest etc in the support box as well

Could have been debris mouse nest etc in the support box as well
Hope not. Isn't the roof flashing supposed to seal in a cathedral ceiling support box?

Hope not. Isn't the roof flashing supposed to seal in a cathedral ceiling support box?
Yes it's supposed to but that's not always done properly

Hi,

I know very little about wood burning stove but have been living with an inherited one for the past year which has given me no issue until recently. The stove brand is "Nordic" and it looks old. It's got a long black pipe up to the ceiling which is attached to the cieiling box then to the roof. We were burning one of our first fires of the season several months ago when we heard a sizzling sound and looked up at the ceiling box and saw it aglow with flame. Little embers came floating down from the ceiling box where the box is attached to pipe which was the most concerning aspect of the situation. We haven't burned any fires since but aren't sure what the issue is how we should go about fixing it. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

I believe this stove has been used for ~10 years and have no idea when it was last serviced.

Thanks!
Emily

View attachment 322244 View attachment 322245 View attachment 322246
Updates?