Old Schrader I refinished and a few questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ShanefromMO

Feb 12, 2018
Missouri
I have a few questions on this ole boy and the installation

Does anyone know the Model?

For the wall heat shield, how far on each side of the stove does it need to extend if any?

This is not a UL listed stove. It will be sitting on a tile floor. Will a type 2 floor protector work?
20180123_103224.jpg 20180123_103240.jpg IMG_2640.JPG IMG_2641.JPG IMG_2642.JPG IMG_2647.JPG IMG_2678.JPG IMG_2681.JPG IMG_2682.JPG IMG_2683.JPG IMG_2686.JPG

Is the tile on a concrete slab or on a combustible subfloor? If combustible then a type 2 hearth protector should suffice. If slab then there are no combustibles involved and no need for the additional protection. When a proper, ventilated, NFPA211 wall shielding is used here it must protect beyond the stove with a hypotenuse of 36" in order to achieve a clearance reduction.

Is the tile on a concrete slab or on a combustible subfloor? If combustible then a type 2 hearth protector should suffice. If slab then there are no combustibles involved and no need for the additional protection. When a proper, ventilated, NFPA211 wall shielding is used here it must protect beyond the stove with a hypotenuse of 36" in order to achieve a clearance reduction.
It is not on concrete, so from what I read and understood, it needed a protector. I just didn't know if I was reading right, and a protector would work since it is not a UL listed stove. I still don't understand on the wall shield though. I believe I understand how and what to use, just not how far it must extend on each side of the stove.

Are you concerned about rear or side wall protection, or both?

This is my understanding of the NFPA requirement for an unlisted stove wall shield. I think the width could safely be reduced by attaching a rear shield (with air gap) to the rear of the stove, but this would be in untested territory. Code wonks feel free to correct if I have this interpretation wrong.

shield.jpg

That's correct, also shield height. Basically anything that measures 36 inches to a stove surface must be protected. One thing wrong with the diagram above is the minimum 12 inch clearance is measured to the wall, not the shield.

de002f1.gif

Reactions: Scandar
One thing wrong with the diagram above is the minimum 12 inch clearance is measured to the wall, not the shield.

Yes, good eye. I rushed that drawing.