Old splitter ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wewers1

Mar 6, 2023
Arkansas
Needing help identifying this older splitter I just bought. I found a small faded sticker, I think it said it was a "RAM log splitter", but I couldnt find any info on them. It seems to have a pump/reservoir/valve combo. And either the pump or valve isnt working, so Im looking for options to fix or replace. Not sure how I could replace with new, separate components, because of lack of space on the axle plate.

0306231011.jpg 0306231012.jpg

I've split on a home made splitter like that, My back still hurts. Is fluid returning, open tank and see if you can see. Better pics of valve and pump?

I've split on a home made splitter like that, My back still hurts. Is fluid returning, open tank and see if you can see. Better pics of valve and pump?
Here is a better view of the valve/pump setup. I cant remove the vent cap on top of the tank. I may have to remove one end of the return hose to see.

0306232114.jpg 0306232114a.jpg 0306232115.jpg

Maybe an old "Ramsplitter" right color.
If it all worked, Id use the parts to turn it into a vert/horizontal unit. How anyone works in that position is amazing.

I had an old one sort of like that. I put it on an old van axle and set the working height at 32-34". Works much better.

For troubleshooting the problem start at one end and work your way down. Start with the love joy connections on the engine side making sure they are tight as well as the pump side making sure that it is actually turning the pump. Once that is established then you need to find out if the pump is actually pumping. Whether you remove a line and shove it into a 5 gallon bucket or have the ability to look in the tank or put a gauge on the system whatever is required in your scenario. I haven't seen an old pump control lever setup like that in a long time. They were generally used on very low GPM environments. Start with this handful of things and we can help work through the rest of the system

Well here is the outcome... The old pump was trash, and since it was a 3-in-1 contraption, new pump, tank, and valve with new hoses and fittings. Also added a filter to complete the upgrade.

0408231437_HDR.jpg 0408231437a_HDR.jpg

My money says the first thing to break is the filter when a piece of wood gets dropped. Other than that it looks good.

The frame/beam and carriage thing at the end of the piston looks similar to my 1980s machine. I believe it was labeled as a Didier. Works well. Yeah it’s low. I’ve placed it on top of logs with a skid steer if I’m going to be a while. It is nice to roll the big boys up on to it.

My money says the first thing to break is the filter when a piece of wood gets dropped. Other than that it looks good.
Nice job. Compared to the location of many store bought units, I think the filter will be alright . It looks like the filter and breather cap are almost touching, I would be concerned with the filter vibrating against the tank cap and creating a leak.

1681462473216.png

Nice job. Compared to the location of many store bought units, I think the filter will be alright . It looks like the filter and breather cap are almost touching, I would be concerned with the filter vibrating against the tank cap and creating a leak.

View attachment 312028
Thanks. Theres about 1/2 inch between the filter and breather cap, and just enough clearance below the filter to screw it off. Yeah the filter seems to be out of the way when loading wood from the side.

I added bigger tires to my splitter to get it higher so no bending over to use the splitter.