question about correct install on a regency classic i2450m wood stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

celticrosefarm

Feb 17, 2024
crossville, TN
Hi I am new the the forum and have read a couple articles. We had our woodstove installed professionally by the local woodstove company almost a year ago. We called them almost immediately and multiple times and said it was unable to heat up even our 600 Sqft room more than maybe to 70 degrees even when its 50 outside. I took videos of the woodstove going and a temp gun showing its often 65 degrees in our room. Im used to being cooked out in a house with a woodstove and needing a tank top on and this one I have to pull my chair up about 4 feet from it to get warm. Our windows are newly installed and efficient (right before the woodstove), my husband has went under the house and made sure everything was insulated well. We were finally able to get them out this past week to check it out. They pulled it out and said Oh there is no insulation there so most of the heat if going up the fireplace. Is it not standard practice to put in insulation and a block out plate when you install a woodstove? Is this an optional step? He was talking about oh we should just get some insulation and put in there and if that doesnt work he has to make some steel plate and rig something up but its difficult. Ive been watching videos of a man installing on youtube, he fabricated one out of aluminum and screwed it is. Which is correct and what should be involved in a normal professional install? Im not happy it has taken multiple calls, messages and at least 10 months to get them out and then for them to tell me we needed to get the insulation to fix it, i was like isnt that something they would have on hand being a fireplace and woodstove store? Also the air moving pipes on top fall out daily... then he said they need to have a vice grip put on them and tapped with a hammer and left us to do that as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated. If its not standard practice to do the insulation and block out plate or fix those pipes, Id like to know so that im not being overly demanding. Im frustrated to have paid super high energy bills after dropping over $6,000 for the woodstove and installation and find out a year later it wasnt insulated or have a blockoff plate.

Hi I am new the the forum and have read a couple articles. We had our woodstove installed professionally by the local woodstove company almost a year ago. We called them almost immediately and multiple times and said it was unable to heat up even our 600 Sqft room more than maybe to 70 degrees even when its 50 outside. I took videos of the woodstove going and a temp gun showing its often 65 degrees in our room. Im used to being cooked out in a house with a woodstove and needing a tank top on and this one I have to pull my chair up about 4 feet from it to get warm. Our windows are newly installed and efficient (right before the woodstove), my husband has went under the house and made sure everything was insulated well. We were finally able to get them out this past week to check it out. They pulled it out and said Oh there is no insulation there so most of the heat if going up the fireplace. Is it not standard practice to put in insulation and a block out plate when you install a woodstove? Is this an optional step? He was talking about oh we should just get some insulation and put in there and if that doesnt work he has to make some steel plate and rig something up but its difficult. Ive been watching videos of a man installing on youtube, he fabricated one out of aluminum and screwed it is. Which is correct and what should be involved in a normal professional install? Im not happy it has taken multiple calls, messages and at least 10 months to get them out and then for them to tell me we needed to get the insulation to fix it, i was like isnt that something they would have on hand being a fireplace and woodstove store? Also the air moving pipes on top fall out daily... then he said they need to have a vice grip put on them and tapped with a hammer and left us to do that as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated. If its not standard practice to do the insulation and block out plate or fix those pipes, Id like to know so that im not being overly demanding. Im frustrated to have paid super high energy bills after dropping over $6,000 for the woodstove and installation and find out a year later it wasnt insulated or have a blockoff plate.
It isn't really standard practice to do a blockoff plate even insulation isn't but that is getting to be more common. But the tubes should absolutely all be in place securely

Reactions: celticrosefarm
Yes, a block off plate (to seal air flow; silicone at the edges) with rock wool on top (not glass fiber!) should be standard but isn't.

Reactions: celticrosefarm