Old Stove Install Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firewater

Jul 26, 2015
North Dakota
Hello, I am looking to setup an old woodstove to heat a barn. Below are pictures of the stove in question I have the rest of the parts they are getting restored right now. I have never used a woodstove before so everything is pretty new to me. What I need help with is the clearance I need from the barn wall, the closest I can get it to the wall safely is what I’m trying to achieve (should I build a tile platform to reflect heat?). Also what stove pipe would you recommend that won’t break the bank. It will also have to go through a second floor and roof so do I need special fittings for that? And any other information you would recommend for an old woodstove like this. I can provide more pictures and information just ask.

Thank you for your time reading this I appreciate it.

The picture of the barn wall is where i want to install it, should be a straight shoot up for the pipe like in the diagram.

20150723_131228.jpg 20150723_131256.jpg 20150723_131314.jpg Cookstove.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. Up to the floor above you can use stove pipe. For single-wall it has 18" clearance requirements or 6" for double-wall stove pipe. At the floor you need to transition to a ceiling support box. From that point up it is class A chimney pipe. The stove will require 36" clearances in all directions from any combustible. I would put it on a hearth made of framed in brick or a couple layers of cement board that can be tiled on top, or you can purchase a premade hearth pad. If you search the main forum you will find many examples of DIY hearth pads.

Here's a link to the basics of stove installation with some sub-links to more detailed articles. Also, stove pipe mfgs. have some good installation docs. I like those on DuraVent's website for their DuraTech pipe.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/installing_a_woodstove

The wall clearances can be reduced to 12" if a proper, NFPA 211, ventilated wall shield is put up. It doesn't need to be fancy but must be made of non-combustible materials like cement board or metal. It must be open at the top and bottom and on at least 1" spacers off the wall.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_wall_clear

Note that you will want to have a good stash of fully seasoned wood to get the best heat and cleanest burn from the stove. Caveat emptor, most wood that is sold as seasoned isn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.