Old Vermont Castings Resolute Flue Collar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

55Trucker

Jan 13, 2022
Maine
Hi, I bought a used Resolute stove. It has "1979" cast into the back wall of the fire box, the tag on the back says Vermont Castings Resolute Parlor Stove S/N 7432, testing date 1/31/80. It does not have glass in the door, and it has a vertical exit flue collar. I had assumed that the flue collar could be rotated to turn this into a rear venting stove, but I just found out that it can't. Is there a rear exit flue collar that I can get for it somewhere? Thank you.

stove 4.jpg stove 2.jpg stove 3.jpg stove 1.jpg

Are you sure you can't remove the fasteners & turn the flue collar & re-install to the rear facing position? This schematic shows the position you want. You will have to replace the gasket.

0042_0043_090414.png

The flue collar has only two screws, not four as shown in your picture, and the screw holes on the stove are on the top of the stove. I figured I could drill two more holes in the collar, but when I flip the collar over the pipe connection is pointing up 45 degrees, not perpendicular to the back of the stove. This is what makes me think the collar can't just be flipped over as it can be on my other VC Intrepid stove, and that there must have been a separate collar they sold for it to vent out the back.

Your picture also shows what I think is door glass, my front door has no glass, but a metal plate where there would be glass. Not sure if this info helps you date the stove. Literally everything else in the picture looks the same as on my stove.

yes, it is reversible. you have the resolute 1, with the griddle sitting proud, not flush. on that stove, there is a separate plate you have to detach and move as well as the flue collar.

OMG I am sooo embarrassed. You're right, I do have two more screws, and the back plate has to get moved to the top. Going to get the PB Blaster out now.

Thank you!

i would do a lot of soaking, and maybe heat. those bolts have a tendency to be seized (should be allen heads). i try to go back and forth with them. sometimes an impact wrench will do it. all else fails, you can drill the whole bolt out and replace with through bolt and nut set up.

OMG I am sooo embarrassed. You're right, I do have two more screws, and the back plate has to get moved to the top. Going to get the PB Blaster out now.

Thank you!
yeah, they redesigned it to a one piece flue for resolute 2.