Old Vigilant installed in Cabin Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

momatt

Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
I have a 14 X 40 wood frame shed I am turning into a cabin at my property. I bought an old vigilant and got it installed over the weekend. I have 17 or 18 foot chimney sticking up quite a bit above the roof. I haven't done a proper fire in it yet, just burned a bunch of cardboard the chimney pipe came in. Its drafting great. Neat to open the griddle and see the fire getting sucked into the flue. Anyway I noticed a little set screw is missing on the lower left side you can see in to the fire. I would think that might be for coal use and that for wood it would let in too much air. Should I plug it? Any idea if so what size it is? Definitely threaded, at first I thought someone had drilled a hole in it. Don't worry about the photos, I am 36 inches from the wall and will put up drywall and a heat shield before giving here a real go.

Attachments

• stove1.jpg
    stove1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 152
  • stove2.jpg
    stove2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 133
welcome to the forum. take a picture of the hole so we can see what it is.