Older Encore damper question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eman85

Minister of Fire
Oct 10, 2022
E TN
I pulled the damper and put a new gasket on it. The damper has 2 stubs that stick out that allow it to pivot. On the left (handle) side the stub fits into a tab that is retained by a bolt. On the right side the stub isn't retained. There is a piece of metal retained by a bolt but it just sits over the stub. When I close the damper the right side drops down and doesn't seal. Is the piece of metal on the right side supposed to go around the stub?

You should repost this in the VC thread. Someone will help for sure.

Can you take couple of pictures. I might remember once I see it

Here's pics of the end of the damper. The small metal piece at the top is held by a bolt. Is there supposed to be more of it that broke off? Or is it just supposed to ride tighter on the stub shaft?
20221028_113905.jpg
20221028_114012.jpg

Both ends have the same damper tab. I can't tell what's going on from that pic, but something is amiss.

The other side the flat tab faces straight down and retains the stub of the damper. This side the tab is a 90*, I thought maybe a piece broke off. I wil have to bend it a little to get the bolt out that retains it.

Evidently from use the pressure of the damper has bent the tab. I straightened the tab and it seems a lot better. looking up parts both tabs are supposed to be the same and straight.