Older Heatilator (GC361L, standing pilot) fireplace won't stay lit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Freeland

May 3, 2018
Middle GA
Hello, I'm hoping to find out whether we can fix this inexpensively as we are getting ready to sell the house. The unit is original to the house from 1993. It has worked fine until about a year ago. It ignites, the flame fills in all the burner ports. It stays lit for about 5 seconds and shuts down. I'm attaching a picture so you can see the components. I've read threads where some say the problem is a $500 part. Oh how I would love to hear that it's a $50 part. Any suggestions, ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2780.JPG
    IMG_2780.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 378
Google this: Direct Spark Ignition module DS 845.
Your module should be around $100
Make sure the unit you get is IDENTICAL to the unit you have.
Once you get it, follow this procedure...
Turn off the power source to the fireplace.
If possible, remove one connection from the old unit & install it in the IDENTICAL location on the new one.
If that isn't possible, take a picture of the old one to use as a guide.
Once you have made all connections, turn the power on & light the unit.
Let use know how you made out.

Google this: Direct Spark Ignition module DS 845.
Your module should be around $100
Make sure the unit you get is IDENTICAL to the unit you have.
Once you get it, follow this procedure...
Turn off the power source to the fireplace.
If possible, remove one connection from the old unit & install it in the IDENTICAL location on the new one.
If that isn't possible, take a picture of the old one to use as a guide.
Once you have made all connections, turn the power on & light the unit.
Let use know how you made out.

Thank you for the quick reply and your service to Patriot Guard. My husband I are retired Air Force with over 60 years between us and can appreciate your mission. I will post the outcome and now off to search for the part:)

Thank you for the quick reply and your service to Patriot Guard. My husband I are retired Air Force with over 60 years between us and can appreciate your mission. I will post the outcome and now off to search for the part:)

Is there a difference between the:

Robertshaw 780-845 (no prepurge) and Robertshaw DS 845 (34 second prepurge)? The 780-845 is cheaper on most sites.

I actually don't know, but you show the DS 845 in your pic.
That's the one I would get, if all the numbers match up.