Older LP Vented Heater - questions!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MattMo

Jan 30, 2018
St. Louis
Hi folks - new to the forum was hoping you can assist me in identifying an LP heather I inherited from my grandfather. I have no information on it other than the limited amount i could find on google and the pictures you will find in the attached.Has anyone had any experience with a heater like this one?

What I found out, if accurate, is that it's a Schwank but I cannot find a manual online. https://www.searspartsdirect.com/mo...tml?searchType=manualSearch&searchTerm=359400

Lastly - there are two wires that connect to the valve that are spooled together (From when gpa disconnected it i am assuming) that i guess would go to a thermostat if anyone knows? And if so, what thermostats are recommended typically?

Thanks for any input you can provide.
Matt

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 154
Are you referring to the coiled red wire? Looks to be coming off a transformer.
I would venture a guess that it is a 24V system, but you will need to test the wires for voltage.
If that is the voltage, then you will need a 24V thermostat.

Thanks Daksy. Yes those are the wires i was referring to. I will test those wires this evening.

Also - should this unit 'run' without a thermostat do you know? before i bought a thermostat i wanted to make sure it was in good operating order. Is there anyway to accomplish this without a t-stat? Also - anything else i should know or beware of? I plugged it in and pushed the fan button but nothing happened - wasn't sure if it was b/c no pilot light was lit and/or no thermostat hookup.

Thanks again!

If there is a Hi-Lo Regulator on the valve, then I'd say you could run it without the t-stat.
As far as the blower operation, it may be wired similar to the newer units & have a thermodisk
in the system. That will keep the blower from operating until the heat exchanger has reached
a certain temperature. Once that temp is reached, the t-disk will close & actuate the blower.
That system will prevent the blower from moving unheated air.

Thanks again Daksy. I apologize for the novice questions however would any 24V tstat work?

Also, being new to this is there anything i should look at prior to lighting for safety purposes?

I believe any 24V t-stat will be ok.
Once you have the gas line connected,
make sure you have NO LEAKS, by using
a soapy solution or a gas sniffer.
To be REALLY safe, fire this unit up OUTDOORS
& away from any buildings & combustibles...