On the streets of NYC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I was walking to work yesterday morning and spotted two pallets of firewood on the sidewalk outside Metropolitan Lumber on 11th Ave near 45th St.
photo (5).JPG

It is odd enough to pass a lumber yard in Manhattan, but to see a couple pallets of firewood outside it in July! This "yard" does have just about everything though. Back in the 90s I picked up some debarked logs for a project that the scenic shop I worked for was doing.
Here's a picture I found of the project on the 'net.
8721697a1a52.jpg

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
Start spreading the news
There's wood here today
And you can burn a part of it
New York, New York

Reactions: TimJ
Only $200/pallet! And it's cross-stacked for faster drying. ==c

I'll bet they want more than $200 for that pallet.

Sure its a least $1 per piece probably more.

I used to work 2 blocks from there at 11th and 43 a long time ago.

There are people burning wood in the city. Guy who owned the company where I now work has a home on 79th st. Next to the wine cellar he has a firewood room. Gets kiln dried wood delivered for who knows how much. He actually uses his fireplaces quite a bit. Of course someone on his staff is bringing the wood upstairs.

My new career; New York wood smuggler! ==c
Back in the 90s I picked up some debarked logs for a project that the scenic shop I worked for was doing.
Can you elaborate?

Can you elaborate?

We built the log cabin set pictured in my first post. We machined "logs" out of 2X6 or 2X8s in the shop, but needed a few more when we installed the set on the sound stage. We bought logs at Metropolitan Lumber and halved them on a table saw. The set was for a PineSol commercial.

Status
Not open for further replies.