??? on using pellet stove for ranch walk-out basement ONLY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brider

Jun 13, 2008
New Haven, CT
I've been a long-time woodburner on this forum for my UPSTAIRS in my small ranch house, but after last winter's extended deep-freeze, I'm thinking about a pellet stove to suppliment my basement.

Looked around here in the pellet area, didn't really see any discussion on my application.

I have a walk-out basement, poured concrete walls, 3 big windows in the "finished" walk-out area. The ceiling is about a 7' suspended ceiling.

The big question is where/how to run the chimney; thru an existing window (would have to figure out how to close it off and seal around it), OR out thru the 10" floor joist height between the concrete wall and the upper floor, then up the side of the house. Is this possible with a pellet stove?

I don't know about the codes where you live, but here the stove pipe must exit the house a minimum of 6' above the ground. It sounds like to me that you would probably have to run the pipe straight up through the floor of the upper level then exit the wall once your high enough off the ground.

I ran ours through the sill between foundation wall and upper floor - it works fine. There was a minimum distance the pipe had to be above grade (I think it was at least 12"+), but definitely check as Tim states. Used Selkirk pipe and there was still plenty of room to work between floor joists. We insulated our basement and furred out the walls which helped tremendously; all cement really tends to soak up the heat. You mentioned having a walk-out so assuming it might already be finished off?

I'm thinking Tim means terminate 6' off the ground. Most manuals have mention of clearance above grade and combustibles but that may again be termination clearances. Snow levels for exhaust and OAK may be more relevant when considering terminations... There are many manuals available on line now so you can research the stove and installation before you make the leap.... Then check with your local building officials for any by-laws specific to your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.