Once again, advice needed on a splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the update. I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger this Friday. I am also going with the 26 ton Iron & Oak. Hopefully you will have yours by week end. Let us know how it goes. Thanks again.

Gordon and Pyro

Please update this thread when you get your splitter. I'm about to pull the trigger and need to know how it gets delivered. I won't be able to take it off of the truck, but will be able to pick it up at a shipping depot or something. Just wondering if you paid extra for the lift gate service. Also, what engine did you go with/ or are going with. I was originally thinking the subaru/robins, but for some reason it is making me nervous. The honda engine is $300+ more, but when I looked for the cost on a 9hp honda gx engine, it was about $500+ just for the engine, so maybe just getting it now would be a safer long term solution. I have honda engines that have sat with gas in them for 9 months and they start on the 1st or 2nd pull. I love that about my honda engines.

One more question, did either of you consider getting the dura-glide splitter. I guess they recommend them for rental places. I'm not sure if it is worth the extra $ for that option.

I have 100 16" or bigger rounds on my driveway what I want out of there before the snow flies. With a ruptured disk in my back, lifting them is out of the question. Even without the ruptured disk, I'm not sure if I would be able to pick some of them up. I think the biggest is just over 25" in diameter and I was cutting them 20" tall, so that's about 2 cubic ft of wet maple. It's pretty heavy.

Thanks for any update and happy splitting.

wannabegreener- through buyacehardware.com at the time of ordering there was no option for lift gate service. I'm assuming that was what the phone call from Iron & Oak was suppose to be for. So far now, have not paid the extra $125 for the lift gate service. I'm guessing it is going to be delivered to a terminal, and from there they call me for arrangements. But thats just speculation. I will probably just save the $125 and go pick it up at the terminal (will let you know for sure how it works). I went ahead and went with the robin engine. I have not heard any negative reviews about them and the link mofoG earlier added in the thread was very informative. Also I can try to take video of it but its a tape stored camcorder so I am not sure I will be able to transfer to computer., but if I can I know that will probably help the most as far as its capabilities. As the duro-glide goes, I have to say I wasn't sold on that feature, especially for how much extra it tacked on to the price. So just the 26 ton h/v with a robin engine I figured was going to be all that I really needed.

wannabegreener said:
Gordon and Pyro

Please update this thread when you get your splitter. I'm about to pull the trigger and need to know how it gets delivered. I won't be able to take it off of the truck, but will be able to pick it up at a shipping depot or something. Just wondering if you paid extra for the lift gate service. Also, what engine did you go with/ or are going with. I was originally thinking the subaru/robins, but for some reason it is making me nervous. The honda engine is $300+ more, but when I looked for the cost on a 9hp honda gx engine, it was about $500+ just for the engine, so maybe just getting it now would be a safer long term solution. I have honda engines that have sat with gas in them for 9 months and they start on the 1st or 2nd pull. I love that about my honda engines.

One more question, did either of you consider getting the dura-glide splitter. I guess they recommend them for rental places. I'm not sure if it is worth the extra $ for that option.

I have 100 16" or bigger rounds on my driveway what I want out of there before the snow flies. With a ruptured disk in my back, lifting them is out of the question. Even without the ruptured disk, I'm not sure if I would be able to pick some of them up. I think the biggest is just over 25" in diameter and I was cutting them 20" tall, so that's about 2 cubic ft of wet maple. It's pretty heavy.

Thanks for any update and happy splitting.

I am purchasing mine through the following website: http://www.logsplittersales.com/p116-Iron-Oak-26-Ton-9HP-HONDA-GX270-HV-Log-Splitter.html
I am going to get the lift gate service because I have no way of unloading the splitter myself. I am going to go with the Honda engine even though I have only heard positive reviews on the subaru/robins engines. I guess I am a little paranoid, but i'm sure any engine is more than capable and will withstand anything that is thrown at it. I am not going to get the dura-glide system, I cant see paying the extra money. I will probably only be using the splitter 5-6 times a year and cant see paying extra for the dura-glide system. As soon as I receive I will update and post pics.

Have a great evening!!!

Note for you folks with new Iron & Oak splitters. Our 26 t. I&O with the hydro. oil at the specified level, will blow oil out the tank vent when used on hot summer days. The best way we have found to handle this situation is to lay an old bath towel over the vent. After you bleed off enough oil the problem is eliminated. This happened when the splitter was new and when we took it back to the factory to have the damaged cylinder replaced. It can be pretty messey when you are not ready for it.
Tom

Gordon and Pyro Nut. Thanks for updating this thread. I'll wait to hear how your splitters showed up before ordering mine. I think it will be a 26 ton but still trying to figure out the engine. I really like my power washer and tiller with the honda engine, but don't want to spend the extra $300+.

Again - please update when you get the splitter to show how it showed up - crated or ready to be towed

Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.