Once again, advice needed on a splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonShumway

Dec 14, 2010
Nebraska
I have just recently this last year decided to start burning wood. I have done a few cords with a maul and have come to the conclusion that tho it may help me to stay in shape, my time is limited for splitting wood. So have decided to purchase a splitter. Last year I burned approx. 10 cords. Tho I will admit 3/4 of it was considerably green, but in a pinch it worked. I am in the process of remodeling our house throughout so right now time is limited, but in the future would like to sell wood on the side. So if I am going to buy a splitter I want it to be able to handle the extra load. My budget is $2000. Looked at box store models and as of now the only ones would consider are the huskee models from tsc, and the ariens model from HD. But I am more focused on the 26 ton h/v I&O with a robin engine (the honda is just out of the budget). My question is, does anyone have experience with this particular model. Perhaps even a video of it in action. I have looked up and down on youtube and can only find the 15 ton models. Also, would I notice much in performance and reliability between the honda gx and the robin engine? And could I expect the 26 ton version of the iron and oak to outperform another 26 ton version from a box store? Thanks for any advice in advance.

http://www.buyacehardware.com/26-ton-log-splitter-robin.html

I am also looking for the exact same splitter but with the Honda engine. I have also had trouble finding reviews or video on the 26 ton model. I am anxious to see the responses from the fellow members before I pull the trigger.

I can tell you that the Robin is a great engine! My Ariens splitter uses the Suby and it is one of the nicest small engines I have used on any equipment. Its right there with the Honda GX series.

Checkout some of the technology built into these engines --> http://robinamerica.com/pfeatures.aspx?pid=161

I did not know ACE sells Iron & Oak! Those are some pretty good prices on those splitters as compared to other online sites selling Iron & Oak. And free shipping

I'm in the same boat - looking for a splitter. Why would you consider the iron and oak for about $400 more. I can only see 2 differences compared to the Ariens

Ariens I&O
1.75" rod 2.0" rod
169CC suby 270 suby engine

Minor diffs

16.5 sec cycle 12 sec cycle

Don't see too much more. Can you tell my how you justify the extra $400. Both are made in the US.

Thanks for any help!

I personally do not like the short I Beam on the Ariens and the way the hyd. cylinder hangs in the wind off the edge of the I Beam.

I lucked out and bought my Iron & Oak used off craigslist for half of what they go for new

I like my 9 h.p. Robin engine, but I'd go for a lower capacity splitter with a smaller engine to save fuel.

Elderthewelder- I was also surprised when I stumbled across the Ace site. The best prices I have found yet on I&O splitters.
Wannabegreener- I prefer the I&O over the Ariens bc from what I can tell the unit, in my opinion, is more of a commercial grade. So I am hoping that the extra 400 would be justified in reliability and durability when I am able to split wood for extra dough. I also believe in the long run the cycle times will create a huge difference. But they are both splitters that there is really no real info on, other then the reviews on the websites that sell the equip. Also a lot of my wood is twisted and gnarly so the main question would be, will the I&O out perform the Ariens with the same tonnage rating.
MofoG23- That is a very informative link to the build quality of the robin engines. Thanks for the link.

If anyone happens to have any pics of their I&O's or Ariens splitting thru some tough stuff that would give me an idea of what theses things can handle. Thanks

I've only had my Ariens this year, but I've split a few cord with it already. I was using my neighbors Huskee 22 ton before I bought mine and that was a decent splitter. I had some very large knotty oak rounds that the Huskee would stall on. I have split similar rounds with the Ariens....it slows down a bit, but if it does not split, it slices right through it. I have yet to find a round that will stop it.

I know I&O carry a great reputation, but I'm very happy with my Ariens. I remember reading a post by someone who lives near the factory and/or knows a few people that work there. I guess Ariens brought in a few splitters (including I&O) when they designed their own...there is no question they really thought through the design of their splitters - well built and a design that makes sense.

My $0.02 so take it for what its worth. :)

GordonShumway said:
Elderthewelder- I was also surprised when I stumbled across the Ace site. The best prices I have found yet on I&O splitters.
Wannabegreener- I prefer the I&O over the Ariens bc from what I can tell the unit, in my opinion, is more of a commercial grade. So I am hoping that the extra 400 would be justified in reliability and durability when I am able to split wood for extra dough. I also believe in the long run the cycle times will create a huge difference. But they are both splitters that there is really no real info on, other then the reviews on the websites that sell the equip. Also a lot of my wood is twisted and gnarly so the main question would be, will the I&O out perform the Ariens with the same tonnage rating.
MofoG23- That is a very informative link to the build quality of the robin engines. Thanks for the link.

If anyone happens to have any pics of their I&O's or Ariens splitting thru some tough stuff that would give me an idea of what theses things can handle. Thanks

In my area the rental stores carry I&O b/c they know the renters are going to beat them and I&O is known for their quality,

You should also check out Brave splitters, Brave is I&O sister company, there splitters are a little less commercial grade than I&O but have alot of the same features

IMO you can not go wrong with the I&O,I would think it should handle about anything you will throw at it, however I have only had the chance to split Doug Fir and Big Leaf Maple on mine so far, it struggled a little on some of the big nasty's of the maple, but it split it

If it were me I would pony up the extra $ for the Honda engine on the I&O just for added piece of mind, but that is just me. I am sure the Robin engine is just fine as well.

GordonShumway said:
I have just recently this last year decided to start burning wood. I have done a few cords with a maul and have come to the conclusion that tho it may help me to stay in shape, my time is limited for splitting wood. So have decided to purchase a splitter. Last year I burned approx. 10 cords. Tho I will admit 3/4 of it was considerably green, but in a pinch it worked. I am in the process of remodeling our house throughout so right now time is limited, but in the future would like to sell wood on the side. So if I am going to buy a splitter I want it to be able to handle the extra load. My budget is $2000. Looked at box store models and as of now the only ones would consider are the huskee models from tsc, and the ariens model from HD. But I am more focused on the 26 ton h/v I&O with a robin engine (the honda is just out of the budget). My question is, does anyone have experience with this particular model. Perhaps even a video of it in action. I have looked up and down on youtube and can only find the 15 ton models. Also, would I notice much in performance and reliability between the honda gx and the robin engine? And could I expect the 26 ton version of the iron and oak to outperform another 26 ton version from a box store? Thanks for any advice in advance.

http://www.buyacehardware.com/26-ton-log-splitter-robin.html

Gordon, my only advice to you is to not get hung up on the size of the splitter. Lots of folks think that just because their splitter is a 27 ton or a 35 ton or whatever that it will do a better and faster job. That is not necessarily so.

I recall when we bought our splitter and I was like you or maybe even not as well educated because I had never even seen one operate nor did I know of anyone who had one. When a manager saw us looking one evening at some splitters that were on sale he came to talk and I told him my fear was I'd buy something and it would not do the job. He guaranteed it would or he'd take it back. So, we bought a 20 ton MTD, which is pretty much a twin to today's Huskee splitters.

We took it home and I had to put it together because for another $100 off the sale price he offered me one in the box. I put it together and started it and WOW!
I could hardly believe how this thing worked. That was over 20 years ago and we've split well over 200 full cord of wood completely trouble free. Well, there is one exception. I had to shorten the starter rope when it broke right by the end. Didn't need a new rope; just had to tie a knot.

I have also had reports from some who have the larger splitters. With really long logs with knots they may split a bit faster but for some odd reason most tell me they are slower. However, I still hold that cycle time is basically meaningless. Mine can split faster than I can work.

The first few years in the wood biz I had a Brave 20 ton ( I think Huskee bought them out) and split 100-200 cord/year for 3 years. There wasn't more than 50 pieces I couldn't split that whole time and never touched the machine other than oil, air filter, and plugs . I sold it after that 3 year run for $200 less than I paid for it and my friend that bought it is still running it today. Sold it in 92.
IMHO I wood buy the cheaper splitter and put the balance of the $$$ into a pro saw.

XactLEE said:
The first few years in the wood biz I had a Brave 20 ton ( I think Huskee bought them out) and split 100-200 cord/year for 3 years. There wasn't more than 50 pieces I couldn't split that whole time and never touched the machine other than oil, air filter, and plugs . I sold it after that 3 year run for $200 less than I paid for it and my friend that bought it is still running it today. Sold it in 92.
IMHO I wood buy the cheaper splitter and put the balance of the $$$ into a pro saw.

+1 you can bang out a lot of cords on one.

MofoG23- Was curious if you could tell me the hydraulic capacity on your ariens. I know the I&O has a 9.5 gallons capacity overall. Most of my splitting will be in the summer time for probably long periods of time, so keeping the fluid temp at a reasonable level by way of a larger fluid capacity is something I am concerned about. Or at least that is what I read helps.
Has anyone ever had any fluid temp. issues with running splitters for long periods of time in the summer?
XactLee- As of now I have the saws taking of care of, not sure what is defined as "pro" but bought echo cs5000 and an echo 440evl from someone getting out of the tree trimming business for $200 for the pair. So for me those will have to work for now. But I for sure see where your coming from.
Velvetfoot- Could you tell me how long your 9 hp robin can last on a tank of fuel?

Thank you everyone else for your advice so far.

I want to say its around ~5 gallons. Let me see if I can dig up the manual...FWIW, I've done most of my splitting this year in high temps....80-90 degrees for a couple hours at a time. Did not have any problems other than sweating my A$$ off! :)

I should add the biggest advantage of the Ariens (for me) is that I can easily pull this in the woods with my ATV due to the compact size (width) - if my ATV fits, I know the splitter will fit as well - on a trail. You can also operate the splitter from both sides as the control is in the center....just a few details that separate it from the others.

Having said that, if you can swing the I&O, you will be happy (they are a great unit) - especially with the Robin engine.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I rented a 20 ton I&O splitter last weekend to split wood with my neighbor. To say we ran it hard would be an understatement. One of us was feeding wood to the operator who was able to keep the cylinder moving up or down pretty much constantly (for approx. 8 hours straight minus a few short breaks). The fluid tank was definitly hot to the touch but not burning hot at the end of the day.

It had the Honda GX engine which never missed a beat and always started on the first pull. I would estimate it used about 5 gal. of gas in 8 hours but that's really just a guess as I was filling it from two different gas cans.

We were splitting some some nasty elm which it ripped and shredded more than split as well as some large knotty maple. A few pieces slowed it down but nothing came anywhere close to stopping it.

If I were you I would seriously consider the 22 ton I&O with the Honda engine which is about the same price as the the unit you are looking at.

- Rich

Well just pulled the trigger on the 26 ton I&O. Will post a review when it arrives with some pics. Thanks for the help.

Congratulations, I think you are getting a real nice splitter for a good price. Let us know how it works out.

Congrats - that should prove to be a tool that will last a lifetime. Just curious, which motor did you go with?

Be sure to post some action pics when it arrives!

We have had the the 26t. Iron and oak w/9hp Honda since 2003. Had one slight leak at the cylinder seal after we damaged the ram by hitting it accidentally with a splitting maul. Not the machines fault! We live 15mi. from the factory and they replaced the cylinder, wedge and fluid under warantee! No charge! We split about 12 chords per year with it and are very happy with it. That price would have been a good price in 2003. Enjoy!!
Brave Industries has not changed hands in the last ten years. Don't know who makes Husky,Areins etc. Don't think they make their own just rebadge.
Tom

Don’t know who makes Husky...

I am not familiar with Husky splitters, though I know they make chain saws.

Huskee Splitters are built by SpeeCo.

jensent said:
Don't know who makes Husky,Areins etc. Don't think they make their own just rebadge.
Tom

Ariens is not a rebadge unit. They make their own products with their own design.

GordonShumway said:
Well just pulled the trigger on the 26 ton I&O. Will post a review when it arrives with some pics. Thanks for the help.

Has it arrived yet? Where did you end up ordering the splitter from?

Pyro- I ended up going thru buyacehardware.com. I was told after I placed the order through Ace in an email that the order was sent to Iron & Oak, and that I would receive a call from them to arrange shipping. That email came last Monday just 2 days after the order. Didn't hear anything the rest of that week. Ended up sending an email to Ace to inquire how long I would be waiting for a phone call from Iron & Oak. Received an email back yesterday that the order was suppose to ship yesterday at 1530, and that I would receive a tracking number either yesterday or today. Still waiting on that tracking #. The email did say that I would receive the splitter in 3 shipping days. That would put it here around Thursday, tho I can't find anywhere if there is assembly required or not. But hopefully will be splitting this weekend, and at that time will post a review and some picks of it in action (would do some video but no digital camcorder as of yet). And I've got some pieces that ought to be able to tell you what it can handle. Long story short tho, still the waiting game.

Status
Not open for further replies.