Wood splitter - standalone or tractor powered

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You probably have some restrictions in the system. 90° fittings are a source of heat. A worn pump will make heat as well. How hot does your pump get? My old pump used to get pretty warm because it was worn. No idea how many hours were on it, but it was used/abused when I got it. My new pump was used as well (because it was almost free), but I went through it and it seemed to be pretty good. If/when I need a new one, it will be brand new, and a bit more flow.
I'm not sure about the restrictions, that's just how it came. I think there may be 2 90s in the system, one going in the cylinder and another one somewhere else. Pump is not worn out, has 60 hours on it

I guess I’m in the minority but I like the tractor mounted splitter running off my rear remotes. I did not want to deal with another engine and I have the spitfire splitter - two way splitter so no waiting for the ram .4430 33 ton. It’s very fast. I don’t even run the tractor at a high rpm because I don’t need to. There is nothing it won’t split and it has an integrated log lifter. I don’t think a stand-alone exists that can match it.

That said I run it on a 75hp tractor with about 18gpm at the rear remotes, with a 25hp tractor which probably has 6-8gpm on the rear remotes I don’t know that it would work nearly as well.

I guess I’m in the minority but I like the tractor mounted splitter running off my rear remotes. I did not want to deal with another engine and I have the spitfire splitter - two way splitter so no waiting for the ram .4430 33 ton. It’s very fast. I don’t even run the tractor at a high rpm because I don’t need to. There is nothing it won’t split and it has an integrated log lifter. I don’t think a stand-alone exists that can match it.

That said I run it on a 75hp tractor with about 18gpm at the rear remotes, with a 25hp tractor which probably has 6-8gpm on the rear remotes I don’t know that it would work nearly as well.
75hp and 18gpm would send it for sure. I'm at 11.7 gpm.

I had thought about a splitter for my john deere with a pto pump, but I have a splitter, so there isn't much point.