One Piece At A Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
So, I've been laying low because of a cold, and it's been warm, around freezing, all day, so I thought I'd try feeding the stove one or two splits at a time. I can see an advantage in keeping close to a desired temp without big swings. Maybe use less wood. More work.
Any thoughts?

I do that here and there it does keep temps more even but your right it is more work then loading every 8 hours.

I've heard it said that you lose efficiency every time you open the stove door... i.e. you break your clean burn cycle for a period of time (5 minutes min?) during which time you are not burning all your smoke etc. So if you had 5/60 minutes of inefficient burn (loading once an hour) then you stand to lose 1/12th (.08333) of your premium efficiency - clearly not 0 efficiency ,but a loss none the less. Take that to loading once every 6 hours and the ratio (same 5 minute reload) goes down to 5/3600 (.00139) of the time. Granted this is all theoretical but it may in fact have some relation to measurable differences.. .or not :)

Anyway whatever works best for you - I sometimes like to toss a log or two in just because I enjoy the flame show.

I think if you keep count you will see that you actually burn more wood. I do it sometimes, like today, but it gets fed a good bit of wood over a day's time.

We too have done that in the past but not with the Fireview. What we do now is sometimes put in 2 splits or maybe 3 small ones. They will last several hours and the house doesn't get too hot. Before we went out to cut some wood this afternoon we put in 2 splits. Just came back in a few minutes ago and the house is nice and warm and there is still plenty of burning left to be done. House is a nice and toasty 82 degrees. Nice!

I think if you keep count you will see that you actually burn more wood. I do it sometimes, like today, but it gets fed a good bit of wood over a day's time.
I have noticed i burn more wood then a loaded stove also.

So far, I think I'm using less, but it's too early to tell. I don't think there's any scientific experiment in the offing either.

So far, I think I'm using less, but it's too early to tell. I don't think there's any scientific experiment in the offing either.

If you really wanted to (and not suggesting that you do;lol). You could simply pick two days of the same weather, one day do a batch feed and weigh the wood used, and the next day, do the onesy, twosy and weigh that.

Please report back with your findings.;lol;)

Status
Not open for further replies.