One to avoid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
ebay

not a single view of the front of the stove...I wonder whyauction linky

You think it has been over fired a bit? did you notice the color of the tee. No gaskets ot the cook plate garanteed air leakage probably explains why the tee pipe indicates the over firing and good for garage installations? Looks like a older scandia cheapo?

Warren said:
ebay

not a single view of the front of the stove...I wonder whyauction linky

Elk, that is a Tempwood or a Tempwood copy.

Steel, top loader, air comes in from the top, which tends to limit how hot the stove can get. Interesting design, but never really took off since the stove was ugly - no glass, etc.

There were some copies and improvements, one which Elk will like especially since it is called the Patriot. See the enclosed advertisement.

Attachments

• patritot_ad.jpg
    patritot_ad.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 650
Come on, you guys are dissing a great stove. I would agree that it should be avoided, but not because it was a bad stove or is missing anything, overfired, etc. It's just not worth putting good money into old technology. But, in it's time this was one of the best. An excellent heater for people who were only interested in heat, and didn't care that it didn't have glass, etc.

There is no gasket in the top because it is a down drafter. Very good design (not invented by Tempwood, downdrafters were not unique to this brand) and the basic idea has been recycled today in the latest non-cat stoves.

In our area, Craig, these sold very well and are still in use in many homes. Yes, they are ugly and these types of stoves are being replaced when the homes are sold. And, Warren, there *IS* a picture of the front of the stove. You didn't recognize it becasue it looks the same as the back, only no hole for the flue outlet.

So yes, don't buy this stove (unless its for a camp, etc.) but let's give it some respect. :)

Sean

Weren't these old welded boiler plate stoves pretty tough? Noticeably less susceptible to overfiring than the cast ones?

We (my parents house) heated with a large Garrison and an old VC Resolute (maybe it was a Defiant) for years. We were always careful about bringing the VC up to temp, but the Garrison we pretty much heated up as fast as it would go. Never got anything red hot, though.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.