oops....black glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2008
CNY
new stove.....my husband's baby, my burden since he is at work all the time and we have 4 small children. I tried to look up on old postings, but it is all Greek to me. Somehow I got the glass all black. How can I fix this so he isn't dissapointed when he comes home and how can I prevent it from happening again? Did I have the wood too close?
Thanks.

QUICK - go build a hot fire with seasoned wood, leaving the wood at least 2" from the glass. It will be all clear by the time he gets home. Go on now, you got fire building to do. ;-)

Easiest way I have found to clean the glass is to take damp paper towel and dip it in some ash. Wipe the black off the glass. Then finish off with a little windex.

The glass likely got black due to the wood smoldering. Make sure you don't burn green wood. If you wood is well seasoned, make sure you let it get burning good after you put in a fresh load before you close down the primary air control. This usually takes about 15 minutes, and the wood should be starting to charcoal. Also, try turning the primary air down in stages, rather than wide open to closed in one step.

Jags said:
QUICK - go build a hot fire with seasoned wood, leaving the wood at least 2" from the glass. It will be all clear by the time he gets home. Go on now, you got fire building to do. ;-)

I did. I thought if I got it hot enough it would burn off. It is a Lopi Liberty....big enough to stick my mother-in-law in there, so I think it is going to take awhile. Or maybe she can do it when she is in there? Thank you.

tryin.not.to.burn.the.house.down said:
Jags said:

I did. I thought if I got it hot enough it would burn off. It is a Lopi Liberty....big enough to stick my mother-in-law in there, so I think it is going to take awhile. Or maybe she can do it when she is in there? Thank you.

You got it figured out. Thats a pretty nice stove. Treat it well, feed it seasoned wood and it should do a good job for you. Really though, run it on the upper end of your "safe" zone for the stove. An hour or two at those temps should cook the majority of that stuff right off of the glass. As far as MIL go, I'm not sure of their ability to clean from inside of a burning firebox. Now ferrets on the other hand have good reviews.

Wow. What a wife!

Mine would have called complaining that MY stove messed up and now the glass is black. I can't imagine her logging online and trying to figure out how to FIX it before I got home!

Wow. What a wife!

Mine would have called complaining that MY stove messed up and now the glass is black. I can’t imagine her logging online and trying to figure out how to FIX it before I got home

Yes what a girl!! and she even threw in the quip about the mother in law. Looks like she already has the workings of this place all figured out. Like you said most girls would have called and said theres something wrong with your stove and you need to fix it. Even with taking care of 4 children and a stove she still finds time to get things resolved. Resourceful, whitty, I bet shes hot looking too. Some guys have all the luck

Mine would have blamed her disappointment on my wood. Rick

If I was him, I would buy her a dozen roses and take her out to a nice, kid free dinner.
(psst....trying to help out here.....is it working??)

Hello Missus Hottie- Can I call you that because "tryin.not.to.burn.the.house.down" is ..., well it just doesn't seem to fit. We seem to have a lot in common; I also live in CNY, burn a lopi liberty, and soil the glass all the time. I don't actually soil the glass, what l mean is, never mind, now I've embarassed myself. I'm sorry. I'm fairly new to this forum and just not as smooth as most of the very old timers on here. Anyway, ahh yes, I gotta get mine super hot too, to clean the glass. I probably won't bother hand cleaning it 'till its last use in spring. For me it's just part of the burning cycle.
Your new friend-
kenny

oven cleaner!! it works wonders!!

and i too am jealous... my wife has watched me dozens of times lighting a fire, and watching me tend to it...

yesterday i come home and the house is cooler and i ask why she didn't keep the fire going...

her response was "i don't know how"

forgot to mention, use oven cleaner only when glass is cool

It's transparent ceramic, and it's pretty hard, and lots of folks use razor blades on it (I never do). Be gentle if you're going to try that. There are about a zillion threads on here about cleaning stove windows, but as hot as yours is right now, your options are limited. How about you just burn the stove the best you can, wait until hubby gets home, then sit him down in front of the computer and have him read through this thread to see how hard you've been trying to please him? Rick

fossil said:
How about you just burn the stove the best you can, wait until hubby gets home, then sit him down in front of the computer and have him read through this thread to see how hard you've been trying to please him? Rick

After you hand him a nice frosty brew of course!!

J/K, and I applaud your desire to learn how to operate your new stove correctly.

Mike

Relax TNTBTHD - it sure ain't anything that can't be cured. Before I would go at my new stove with a razor blade, I would wait till the next day and pop on down to your local hardware store and pick up a bottle of rutland glass cleaning goop in a squeeze bottle. It will take the remainder off in short order and little work. I still have my original bottle I bought about 5 years ago (before that, I used all sorts of different methods)

You ain't doing nothin' that most of us haven't done on more than one occasion.

tryin.not.to.burn.the.house.down said:
A lot has burned off, but there is still a heavy coat at the top. I know that technically it is not glass, but porcelain.....could a razor blade work or would that scratch it and cause more damage?

Have you tried taking a damp newspaper and dipping it in some of the fine ashes? (When the glass is cool)
I find that that works very well when I had some not so seasoned wood to clean the glass. Got some real bad soot one time, and never had to use a razor blade....the ashes and newpaper should do the trick. Good luck.

Also, tell your husband that you deserve a night out with the ladies.....he can deal with the 4 kids :)

Girl friend, don't show him the thread.... don't listen to these guys !!! Crikey, why loose the allure ???

4 young uns? And a hubby? Start maintaining your dominant femaleness now !!!

:lol:

Nice job on the glass cleaning save !!! And welcome !!! :coolsmile:

Wet paper towl, dipped in ash = poor mans lye. Will take the glaze off with little effort and no cost. Finish with windex to remove haze.

Status
Not open for further replies.